New Beaglebone:Dead

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
orbitphreak

New Beaglebone:Dead

Post by orbitphreak »

I'm new to this. I got my beaglebone in the mail last week - 2012-06-06. It had some issues booting every now and then - both using the usb or 5V adapter. I eventually updated the firmware to the latest to see if it would help. For the next few boots, it was reliable. I was able to run opkg to update packages, ssh to it, and mount through usb. Then it died. The only indicator light that comes on is the power light - this is the case with both USB and 5V adapter. I've tried resetting it, mounting it, running the screen command on my laptop to /dev/tty.usbserial*, and nothing.

The only thing I CAN do is mount the flash drive directly on my laptop to overwrite the image, which i've done a few times to see if maybe the image i was loading was corrupt. Nothing seems to help..

adafruit

Re: New Beaglebone:Dead

Post by adafruit »

we suggest contacting circuitco for an RMA - it sounds like its got something amiss!

t0x0by

Post by t0x0by »

I have just received my beaglebone today as well. I was playing around with cloud9, and the scripts kept giving me errors. After unplugging the USB cable, the board will not even power on any more, no LEDs come on at all. I don't think it's feasible for me to request an RMA since I live in Australia and postage to US is very expensive. Any alternatives? I was really looking forward to playing with this thing. =(

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

t0x0by, try another power supply, etc. we've never seen the problems you're talking about. let us know if that does/doesn't work!

t0x0by

Post by t0x0by »

Strange, I slept on it, and tried it just now, and it seems to be working. I have to head to work so can't test it too much. My USB 5V rail is about 4.7V, do you think this could have caused the problem? It does appear to be working now though on the same 4.7V...

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

thats pretty low, please try a better 5V supply!

benk22

Post by benk22 »

If you ever use the reset switch, check it. I've found with some units it can get stuck.

t0x0by

Post by t0x0by »

I thought it might have been that, so I unsoldered it, but still had the same behaviour. I figured out that it happens when I unplug the USB cable, then replug it straight away, it will just not power on from USB after that unless I let it sit for a while. Powering it with 5V when it is like this seems to work fine though. And it's not the computer, as I tested it on my laptop and wouldn't power up either. Very strange, but I've been in contact with the RMA team and they've given me the ok to return it for a replacement. Hopefully it's just a dud and it will be fixed in the new one!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”