/home/root/tmp upgrade looks like infinity

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
frodo1986

/home/root/tmp upgrade looks like infinity

Post by frodo1986 »

Hi,adafruit,
I purchased a wireless wifi adapter.
When I follow this tutorial:
http://learn.adafruit.com/beaglebone/wifi
I already run "opkg update"
and "mkdir /home/root/tmp"
But when I run "opkg -t /home/root/tmp upgrade" ,it take more than one hour downloading a lot of stuff.
Is that will take so long time?
Please help me! I use the "putty" terminal.

amdrake

Re: /home/root/tmp upgrade looks like infinity

Post by amdrake »

Frodo,

The Angstrom Linux used in the Beagle Bone is under a lot of development and maintenance. Depending on what release came with your board, you may eligible for a large number of updates. My first board came with an older release of Angstrom Linux, and it took between one and two hours to finish the "opkg upgrade". Even then, there was not enough space to hold all of the updates available, and I got a message stating "Do you need to run opkg udate?" So I did another "opkg update", followed by another "opkg upgrade", and was able to finish getting all the updates. I try running the update cycle every now and then. Sometimes there are no updates, sometimes there are, but they have never taken as long as the first time. I'm just pleased that folks are enhancing Angstrom Linux, and that I can get the updates for free.

As for the wifi installation, I haven't been able to get it to work yet. I see other messages on this forum about the same problem.

--Tony

greywuuf

Re: /home/root/tmp upgrade looks like infinity

Post by greywuuf »

Mine took rather a long time to upgrade as well, no problem Ijust left it run over night ;-) and My Wi-Fi works out of the Box, I had it serving web pages for my home network for a little while, then I got interested in AVR 8 and 14 pin microcontrolers so have not messed with it recently.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”