Micro HDMI cable and BBB Case are a no-go

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
SoA

Micro HDMI cable and BBB Case are a no-go

Post by SoA »

Allo,

I just thought I might try to save the next person from feeling as silly as I feel.
After trying to get a new BBB hooked up to a TV, trying more than one operating system, more than one display, etc. I finally found the problem (after comparing against another BBB):
The case and the cable don't like each other.
The case (1555, the really simple one with the black bottom) holds the micro HDMI cable (1322) just slightly away from the micro HDMI port. It's close enough that it still feels like it's connecting solidly, which is why I didn't notice. When my other BBB (in a spiffy bone-style case, 699) did work, I was assuming it was a hardware problem, until I tried using the original outside of the case.

For me, it's not a problem, because I can just use the adorable bone-shaped one when I want to connect to a TV/display, but I thought I'd point the issue out for anyone else who comes across it: If you intend to connect to a screen, you might be better off getting the http://www.adafruit.com/products/699 enclosure. The plastic is cut away around the micro HDMI, plus it's really well-made anyhoo.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Micro HDMI cable and BBB Case are a no-go

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Thanks for the tip! :D

lhaddock

Post by lhaddock »

Same problem here using the HDMI cable supplied by adafruit. I would like to use the case, but don't want to start hacking on the cable or case until I see if there is an "elegant" solution offered here. I'll check back.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

lhaddock wrote:Same problem here using the HDMI cable supplied by adafruit. I would like to use the case, but don't want to start hacking on the cable or case until I see if there is an "elegant" solution offered here. I'll check back.
some of the cables are a little bulkier than others if you hack on the cable and there is still an issue let us know!

cdr

Post by cdr »

I bought a Micro-HDMI to HDMI Socket Adapter Cable - ID: 1358 also with the
Adafruit BBB Case - Enclosure for Beagle Bone Black - ID: 1555.

I had the same problem with the adapter not being able to get close enough to the
Beaglebone Black Board. Has there been a solution to this?

adafruit_support_rick

Hacking on the cable housing a little bit is the solution right now, I'm afraid. I can offer you a refund, if you'd like - please email [email protected] with a link to this thread

cdr

Post by cdr »

Do you have any other adapters that will work with the case I mentioned?

adafruit_support_rick

That's the only one we have. What about a whole new cable? [email protected] can do the exchange
http://www.adafruit.com/products/1322

I have this cable, but I don't have the case unfortunately, so I can't check out the fit.

cdr

Post by cdr »

I decided to cut the adapter, I live in another country so an exchange is not possible.
I sure hope the cable last. Thank anyway.

SoA

Post by SoA »

adafruit_support_rick wrote:That's the only one we have. What about a whole new cable? [email protected] can do the exchange
http://www.adafruit.com/products/1322

I have this cable, but I don't have the case unfortunately, so I can't check out the fit.
*ahem*
That cable not working with the case was the original point of this thread. :D

Honestly, though I haven't fully done this yet, my suggestion would be to not hack at the adapter, but rather to shave the case.

(I just scraped a pocketknife around the area a bit to see, and it was nearly enough. Soften the immediate area with a bit of rubbing alcohol and I imagine it'd work faster without compromising the structure or modifying anything that's still got to send a signal.)
Remember that it really nearly makes the connection already. It fits in far enough to feel snug; just not far enough to quite make the electrical connection.

Scooby10

Post by Scooby10 »

My wife bought me the BeagleBone Black + Adafruit enclosure (PID 1555) + micro HDMI to HDMI cable (1322) from Adafruit. After hours of troubleshooting I have finally come to the same conclusion as other people in this thread.

I am confused as to why my wife purchased products that months before have been known to not work together. Can you not get in other HDMI cables that will work or at least put a big warning up on the BeagleBone Black product page?

Worse yet I just noticed that when you goto the BeagleBone section of your website it recommends buying the case & HDMI cable which does no one any good.

PS
Thanks for the tip SoA. I guess I will have to shave down my case as you suggested, rather than risk buying an ungrounded HDMI cable that won't work with the BeagleBone Black.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Hi there, that's unusual because we retooled the injection mold a few months to make it work much better with the micro HDMI cables. do you mind posting a picture of the side where the microHDMI plugs in? there should be a 'dented area' - if not we can replace it with the newer style

Scooby10

Post by Scooby10 »

adafruit wrote:Hi there, that's unusual because we retooled the injection mold a few months to make it work much better with the micro HDMI cables. do you mind posting a picture of the side where the microHDMI plugs in? there should be a 'dented area' - if not we can replace it with the newer style
Ok, that makes sense. I couldn't believe Adafruit wouldn't have done anything about it.

I must have received one of your old cases just before the retooling as I didn't notice any "dented area". I will double check & post a picture.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Scooby10

Post by Scooby10 »

As requested, here is a picture of the case + a close up of the microHDMI port.
The camera seems to have picked up a bunch of dust on the closeup picture. You cannot see those bits with the naked eye - i.e. not scratches or any damage.
Attachments
Closeup of the microHDMI port
Closeup of the microHDMI port
IMAG0462.jpg (841.01 KiB) Viewed 472 times
BeagleBone Black case
BeagleBone Black case
IMAG0457.jpg (626.24 KiB) Viewed 472 times

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Yah that's the older style! email support@adafruit and we'll send you a fresh new case :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”