Angstrom vs Ubuntu?

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
i dream of jne

Angstrom vs Ubuntu?

Post by i dream of jne »

Does anyone have a few good tips on deciding between Angstrom and Ubuntu for the BB?

I've been using Angstrom on my BB A6 for more than a year now, and I'm getting pretty sick of its shenanigans. The Angstrom website has been down for months now, as well, so that doesn't inspire any confidence!

I believe the Ubuntu install image is ~500Mb, whereas Angstrom starts out at only ~140Mb, but I'm not worried about space. I'd rather have more and clearer documentation, so I'm considering switching to Ubuntu.

jwcooper

Re: Angstrom vs Ubuntu?

Post by jwcooper »

Ubuntu is fairly well supported now, just not the official distribution like Angstrom is. I think it works fine on the BBB, but you might run into more edge cases that don't work as well or need additional configuration when working in GPIO/PWM/SPI, etc (not even sure this is the case anymore).

scotteh

Post by scotteh »

I've been running Debian Wheezy for a few weeks with fairly good success. I did have problems trying to get bonescript to run but so far I have'nt had any issues using the Adafruit_BBIO python library for reading and writing to analog GPIOs. I'll be trying I2C once I get my Adafruit 8x8 matrix.

http://www.armhf.com/index.php/boards/b ... ck/#wheezy

Good luck

Scott

i dream of jne

Post by i dream of jne »

Thanks for the information.

Are people able to access a larger SD card memory space (>4Gb) with Ubuntu? I think Angstrom still maxes out at 4Gb of usable memory, even if you use a 16Gb SD card. Maybe this has been fixed in the past few months.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”