ETH0 under Debian?

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
SoA

ETH0 under Debian?

Post by SoA »

Allo,

So I have a very odd problem here...
I have two Beaglebone Black's: One is rev 0A5B (which I'll just be calling 'B'), and one is rev 0A5C (which I'll be calling 'C').

Using the stock Angstrom, both work just fine. Ethernet, SSH over USB, etc. No issues at all.
Running Debian on a microsd, B still works just fine.
Using the same Debian (on the same physical microsd) on C... no ethernet.

I don't mean it won't connect, or DHCP doesn't work, or anything so simple. I mean it physically won't detect eth0 at all. (It only shows lo)
I've tried restarting the network-manager (can't detect eth0). I've tried with an ethernet cable in, without a cable in, and far more reboots than I could count.
I've tried the 5V adapter I got from Adafruit, as well as simply using the mini-usb cable.
I'm at a loss.

If the ethernet didn't work at all on that device, the problem would be obvious.
If the ethernet didn't work under Debian for either of them, again, the problem would be obvious.
But I can't figure out where to even begin to diagnose this.

...suggestions?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: ETH0 under Debian?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Run `dmesg` and see if it says anything about the hardware recognition. There may be some difference between the Ethernet subsystems on those two revisions of the BBB, one of which Debian doesn't support by default.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”