boot from BBB or SD Cards, flawed thinking?

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
DaddyOh1234

boot from BBB or SD Cards, flawed thinking?

Post by DaddyOh1234 »

I need more space than is available on the BBB. I will be using wheezy 7.2 Debian (unless there are reasons to use another linux) and have installed wheezy on the BBB and also have a boot from SD card of the same.

Should I consider just booting from the SD card and changing it to 2 partitions and extend the rootfs from the 2nd partition. Or should I boot from the BBB and just add space via the SD card.

I have seen instructions for converting a SD boot card to 2 partitions and extending the 2nd partition to be part of the rootfs. I have not seen examples of just using a blank SD card for more space.

I'm thinking if I just boot from the SD card maybe there will be some speed considerations but everything I install will be on that card right? So I can move that card to another BBB or even duplicate the SD card should I want more than one BBB to use the same software.

Help me understand how my thinking is flawed or not.
:?:

adafruit_support_rick

Re: boot from BBB or SD Cards, flawed thinking?

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

My understanding is that you can't run the BBB from the SD card. It exists solely for loading new systems into the built-in flash memory

sfugarino

Re: boot from BBB or SD Cards, flawed thinking?

Post by sfugarino »

You certainly can run from the SD card. Furthermore, can resize the second partition on your SD card. Use the same trick everyone uses for a Raspberry Pi. I actually have one distro on my eMMC and a couple others on SD cards. I really don't see any difference in performance, but there may be some.

The only distro I've used that saw the eMMC when booting from SD was Angstrom. I suppose you could add something to the uEnv.txt to gain access to it in the distos that don't see it.

Bottom line, your thinking isn't flawed.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”