Set time using NTP, now I can't ssh to BBB

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bebo

Set time using NTP, now I can't ssh to BBB

Post by bebo »

New user here, first day with the BBB. I started out using the get started pages, everything was great. I wrote a quick file with Cloud9, it ran fine. Ssh to the BBB, no problem. Power down, power up...word!. So then I tried to set the time using NTP according to the wonderful Derek Molloy tutorial. Getting the time as outlined in the first part of the tutorial worked fine, but when I followed the instructions to get the BBB to automatically update the time upon boot, I could no longer connect to the BBB. Specifically, the step where you enter 'reboot' into the command line is where things started to go south. Ssh didn't work, entering the IP address into the browser didn't work, nothing seemed to work to connect to the BBB. So now I'm learning all about reflashing the eMMC, yaaayy! It's entirely possible I made a typo somewhere when editing the files as outlined in the tutorial, but with no way to talk to the BBB, I don't know. Has anyone experienced something similar??

Running Windows 7
BBB Rev. B, default Angstrom distro
Firefox browser

P.S. as I was typing this, the debian image finished flashing to the eMMC, and it works! I guess I'll just try again.

P.P.S. after about four minutes, the ssh terminal froze, and now I can't connect to the BBB via ssh or through the browser. Grrrr. Try again

bebo

Re: Set time using NTP, now I can't ssh to BBB[SOLVED]

Post by bebo »

After downloading Angstrom, reflashing the eMMC and following the Derek Molloy tutorial again, it works!! Don't know where I went wrong, but it's reassuring to know I can start from scratch so easily with this thing. I eagerly await the release of Dr. Monk's book on the BBB.

sfugarino

Re: Set time using NTP, now I can't ssh to BBB

Post by sfugarino »

Bet you ran opkg upgrade instead of update.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”