BBB fits and clearance issue

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Bonairiano

BBB fits and clearance issue

Post by Bonairiano »

I just got my BBB. I haven't fired it up yet, but when I plugged the USB and mini HDMI cables in they seem to be wedged against eachother. Is this a screw up on the board design? Do I have to do something crazy like shaving on the cords?
Also, is there any reason that the Adafruit proto cape was designed so that you can only use two if the four standoff screws. The board is about 10 thousands too long to use the standoff screw holes on the Ethernet side of the board. I thought about trimming the board back, but wasn't sure how close the traces ran to that edge. http://www.adafruit.com/products/572

adafruit_support_mike

Re: BBB fits and clearance issue

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

WRT the USB and HDMI interference, there are many, many different kinds of cables out there, and no standard for the dimensions of the grip/strain-relief.

WRT the cape profile, you'd be amazed what an extra half inch of PCB costs. The standard profile should leave enough room for the shaft of a standoff, but there's nothing critical along those edges if you need to trim if back. A few swipes on a piece of sandpaper should do the job.

Bonairiano

Post by Bonairiano »

The HDMI cable is actually the mini HDMI to HDMI adapter y'all sell. I'll give it a sanding. As for the board I was actually thinking .01 shorter would work, not necessarily longer. Thanks for the info.

finson

Post by finson »

Mike: Full length on the proto board would be nice so that we got to use all four support holes, but as you say, if there's a cost savings it's probably better to go short. However, in my case it doesn't look like just a little sanding. I'm probably going to run a couple of long 4-40 screws up there, and it looks to me like my Dremel is going to be the tool. If a future board revision had at least a little scallop out of the edge to better clear the standoff airspace, that would be nice.

Like Bonairiano, I am a little concerned about cutting a trace, so your comment that there isn't much there is helpful. Is it clear all the way back to the first row of holes, or do the breakout traces loop around out in that area? Are there any Eagle files for this board?

Thanks.

Doug

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”