Adafruit BBIO Python Library

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
JFK671

Adafruit BBIO Python Library

Post by JFK671 »

How do I see the contents or the source code inside the BBIO library? Or do I only need high and lows to have full functionality of my board?

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Adafruit BBIO Python Library

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

JFK671

Post by JFK671 »

Thank you. I noticed that was there but I didn't know how to open it or use it. I kindly ask if you could explain it to me.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

There will be a Download Zip button on the right hand side of the screen. Alternately, you can click on the file/folder names to view the contents of the files.

You might also want to have a look at our WebIDE, which can make working with our library code very easy:
https://learn.adafruit.com/webide

jaymer

Post by jaymer »

I'm really confused about the ADAFRUIT BBIO library.
The documentation is really sparse for UART functions.
So when I search for other examples on the web, some are over 2 yrs old, don't apply to the BBB, are Angstrom (I moved to Debian, but that shouldn't matter to python), are more Arduino oriented, etc etc.

here's my two main questions:

1) Do I have to fool around with all the MUX calculations & .dts files, etc. or is that handled for me in ADAFRUIT.BBIO ?

2) Am I supposed to refer to pyserial for all my serial commands?
At this point, I'm trying to read simple packet data from an XBEE - I see my data arriving when I use XCTU. But nothing is coming into the BBB through the RX pin - as observed by "minicom". The python program doesn't do anything - which would be normal if no data is coming in according to "minicom".

I even saw a lengthy article where a guy swears UART2 is /dev/ttyO1 , but I've been under the impression that its /dev/TTYO2.
Makes you want to give up and go down a tried and tested Arduino route.
J

jwcooper

Post by jwcooper »

Hey jaymer,

1) BBIO will handle the MUX calculations and dts files for you. It will export them as well, etc. The overlays used can be found in our repository on github.

2) BBIO doesn't handle anything with serial. You'll want to continue using pyserial.

UART2 should be /dev/ttyO2

The beaglebone is definitely a little more trial and error than the Arduino at this point. It has gotten a LOT better lately though. :)

JFK671

Post by JFK671 »

Hi again.

I want to know if there's more functions contained within the Adafruit BBIO GPIO module. I only know how to use the GPIO.setup() and other functions described in this Adafruit learning blog.

jwcooper

Post by jwcooper »

Those are pretty much it. There are a couple more functions, but not usually very useful for most projects.

Code: Select all

PyMethodDef gpio_methods[] = {
   {"setup", (PyCFunction)py_setup_channel, METH_VARARGS | METH_KEYWORDS, "Set up the GPIO channel, direction and (optional) pull/up down control\nchannel        - Either: RPi board pin number (not BCM GPIO 00..nn number).  Pins start from 1\n                 or    : BCM GPIO number\ndirection      - INPUT or OUTPUT\n[pull_up_down] - PUD_OFF (default), PUD_UP or PUD_DOWN\n[initial]      - Initial value for an output channel"},
   {"cleanup", py_cleanup, METH_VARARGS, "Clean up by resetting all GPIO channels that have been used by this program to INPUT with no pullup/pulldown and no event detection"},
   {"output", py_output_gpio, METH_VARARGS, "Output to a GPIO channel\ngpio  - gpio channel\nvalue - 0/1 or False/True or LOW/HIGH"},
   {"input", py_input_gpio, METH_VARARGS, "Input from a GPIO channel.  Returns HIGH=1=True or LOW=0=False\ngpio - gpio channel"},
   {"add_event_detect", (PyCFunction)py_add_event_detect, METH_VARARGS | METH_KEYWORDS, "Enable edge detection events for a particular GPIO channel.\nchannel      - either board pin number or BCM number depending on which mode is set.\nedge         - RISING, FALLING or BOTH\n[callback]   - A callback function for the event (optional)\n[bouncetime] - Switch bounce timeout in ms for callback"},
   {"remove_event_detect", py_remove_event_detect, METH_VARARGS, "Remove edge detection for a particular GPIO channel\ngpio - gpio channel"},
   {"event_detected", py_event_detected, METH_VARARGS, "Returns True if an edge has occured on a given GPIO.  You need to enable edge detection using add_event_detect() first.\ngpio - gpio channel"},
   {"add_event_callback", (PyCFunction)py_add_event_callback, METH_VARARGS | METH_KEYWORDS, "Add a callback for an event already defined using add_event_detect()\ngpio         - gpio channel\ncallback     - a callback function\n[bouncetime] - Switch bounce timeout in ms"},
   {"wait_for_edge", py_wait_for_edge, METH_VARARGS, "Wait for an edge.\ngpio - gpio channel\nedge - RISING, FALLING or BOTH"},
   {"gpio_function", py_gpio_function, METH_VARARGS, "Return the current GPIO function (IN, OUT, ALT0)\ngpio - gpio channel"},
   {"setwarnings", py_setwarnings, METH_VARARGS, "Enable or disable warning messages"},
   {NULL, NULL, 0, NULL}

JFK671

Post by JFK671 »

Thank you this is what I needed. I am making an ROV (Underwater) and I'm wondering if this is all I need to control motors and analog sensors. Also, how did you read the files inside the modules? For example if I wanted to see whats inside PWM and analog modules, can you show me how to read use python (desktop based, not on BBB) to read it?

jwcooper

Post by jwcooper »

Glad I could help. The easiest way to view the files is on Github. For example, here is the PWM method definitions:
https://github.com/adafruit/adafruit-be ... pwm.c#L173

JFK671

Post by JFK671 »

jwcooper wrote:Glad I could help. The easiest way to view the files is on Github. For example, here is the PWM method definitions:
https://github.com/adafruit/adafruit-be ... pwm.c#L173

Thank you! This is exactly what I need!

jdawg

Post by jdawg »

Your website says that the BBIO Python Library has only been tested with Angstrom and Ubuntu.

I am assuming that it works with Debian, am I correct?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

It should.. Ubuntu is based off of Debian. Linux distros are fairly aggressive about changing things under the hood though, so YMMV.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”