Beaglebone Black dead

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
stonechild

Beaglebone Black dead

Post by stonechild »

I've had a problem with a Beaglebone Black that I purchased recently. I connected it to a
4D Systems 7.0” LCD CAPE which is designed for the Beaglebone Black and powered it up. Linux came up without any problem. I played around with the GUI and everything seemed to be OK and I left it powered up. The next morning the Beaglebone Black was dead. is their anything I could have done that might have caused this board to fail.

4D Systems 7.0” LCD CAPE: http://www.4dsystems.com.au/products

Dennis Meade

JoeO

Re: Beaglebone Black dead

Post by JoeO »

Unplug the BBB from the power supply.
Remove the cape.
Plug the power supply connector back into the BBB.
Does it run now?
If it does not run, do any LEDS lite up on the board?

Did you do anything wrong to the BBB? Can't tell you.

stonechild

Post by stonechild »

Thanks for your reply, JoeO. In answer to your questions and suggestions: None of the lights come on now. At this point I've unplugged,/plugged the BBB a number of times over several days and have checked that the power supply is working.. I hadn't tried to do anything with the BBB other than plug the 4D Systems LCD into the BBB. There are no signs of damage to the BBB that I can see.

Additionally the LCD Was connected to a 5v 2A power supply and the BBB was not connected to my laptop with the USB connector. The LCD was raised on 2" standoffs and at no time was the LCD or BBB hot to the touch when I held It.

JoeO

Post by JoeO »

From reading the specs of your board, you should not have to apply any power to the cape.
"The BBB connects directly to the back of the 4DCAPE-70T, and allows everything the CAPE requires such as power and display signals. "
To me this indicates that the cape gets its power from the BBB.
You may have fried one or both units.
It sounds like you fried the BBB. I would guess that the cape is OK. The only way to find this out is to connect it to another BBB and try it out. Do not apply any power to the cape, only the BBB.

Sorry for the bad news.

stonechild

Post by stonechild »

You are correct, of course, about power coming from the BBB. I don't know why I wrote it that way.

JoeO

Post by JoeO »

So you only powered the BBB?

stonechild

Post by stonechild »

Yes, Only the Beaglebone Black has a power connection. The 4D Systems LCD doesn't have a power connector. The LCD gets power from the BBB through pins that connect the two.

wirelessmonk

Post by wirelessmonk »

Has your troubleshooting included running the BBB without the cape connected? I would be a good idea to break down the problem into its constituent parts.

Cheers

stonechild

Post by stonechild »

Connected or not connected to the LCD, the Beaglbone Black does not power up. That's with both a power supply and the USB connection. Nothing from any of the leds.

stonechild

Post by stonechild »

As instructed by Adafruit I sent my problem to the Beaglebone people. They sent me an RMA and I've sent my Beaglebone Black off to the Beagle Hospital. Along with the return authorization they sent me a description of a similar problem.
:
http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack#Hardware

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”