static IP configuration, stock Debian config ignored

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
harrystone

static IP configuration, stock Debian config ignored

Post by harrystone »

If anyone else thought that because the BBB had Debian on it, that networking would be configured like a Debian system, you're also probably scratching your head.

It turns out there is a spaghetti bowl of startup scripts in /opt that set up the network interfaces. So if you've been editing /etc/network/interfaces and noticing no change, well that's why. I don't know if this is for the sake of backwards compatibility or what but rather than trying to untangle all that I just put my networking config commands in /etc/init.d/rc.local and they run right after boot. I imagine the BBB is still pulling a lease from my DHCP server so if that bothers you, you may have to go diving in their scripts to remove it.

The BBB is a great piece of hardware and the choice to put linux on it is great too. I hope in future they embrace linux a little more and go ahead and configure the distro like it was designed to be configured.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: static IP configuration, stock Debian config ignored

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

That's unfortunate. But thanks for the tip!

JoeO

Post by JoeO »

As far as I can Google, there are no instructions regarding how to set up the Rev C as a webserver using the latest Debian.

It does come up as a web server displaying the BBB opening page when port forwarding the IP address, but that is about all I can do with it.
I need to do a lot of digging.

JoeO

Post by JoeO »

harrystone: Would you post the networking config commands that you used to modify Debian for Rev C?
TIA

harrystone

Post by harrystone »

Joe, here you go, substitute your own network config of course:

/sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.50.3
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 netmask 255.255.255.0
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 broadcast 192.168.50.255
/sbin/route add default gw 192.168.50.1

Also, the web root on the BBB is /var/lib/cloud9. You can get to the cloud9 interface by hitting the BBB ip and port 3000. (http://192.168.7.2:3000) or whatever IP you end up assigning it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”