bbb rev b not posting

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sillywabbit

bbb rev b not posting

Post by sillywabbit »

Hello, I purchased my beagle bone black from adafruit; it works when I use it via usb through windows, but when I try it through it's own power supply, it will not post, a little light just keeps blinking. Any ideas appreciated, thanks,

JoeO

Re: bbb rev b not posting

Post by JoeO »

When you power the BBB through its own power supply, do you still have the USB cable plugged in?

sillywabbit

Post by sillywabbit »

thanks for the reply, the only usb I have plugged in is my usb hub, which has it's own power supply, to work my keyboard and mouse. II get all the lights on the bbb, just not posting

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I'm not sure what you mean by "posting". Are you unable to make a network connection?

sillywabbit

Post by sillywabbit »

Mike, I mean not showing on the monitor; however, if I go via USB through my windows computer, it shows as a removable drive:)

jldelancey

Post by jldelancey »

Depending on what case you have (if you have one), the case may prevent full insertion of the micro HDMI cable into the socket. I found this out with the basic plastic Adafruit case that I purchased a few months ago. I confirmed by removing the BBB from the case and connection to the monitor was instant. Before I removed the BBB from the case, connection was intermittent. I believe that Adafruit has since modified the case to prevent this issue.

sillywabbit

Post by sillywabbit »

thanks for the reply; and yes, it is in an adafruit case. I think what you said makes perfect sense, because it is giving me all the signs of a boot sequence, just not showing on the screen.

Bunk3r_5qu1rr3l

Post by Bunk3r_5qu1rr3l »

I am having the same issue, but I have been able to take this a step further. I was able to SSH into the Debian installation that came with my BBB and preform updates, as well as install a VNC service. While I can interact w/ the desktop, web browse, ext. over a USB VNC connection, I still cannot get it to display on any monitors, save one.*
This tells me it's a software issue, not hardware.

Things I've tried:
-switching the HDMI cable/ adapter
-re-seating the HDMI cable
-changing HDMI ports (on the TV)
-forcing the kernel resolution in uEnv.txt
-switching monitors (up to 5 now)
-shouting nonsensical profanities
-ritual sacrifice

Is there some magical console command I need to put in Terminal or whatnot to cure my monitor woes? Mind you I have Full access to my 'bone through a VNC connection. I'd love an alternative to selling my soul to Satan.

*This is a $450 monitor at Best Buy, so using this display is out of the question.

jldelancey

Post by jldelancey »

IIRC, a BBB will shut off the signal to the HDMI port at boot if it does not sense anything is connected to the port. It does this to conserve power and resources. And it will stay that way even if you connect something, until the next power on or boot. So if you have an intermittent connection and it's not working at boot time, well then the BBB won't send a signal to the port for that power on / off cycle.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”