safe voltage info <<<<<< firobug_interest

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tintar

safe voltage info <<<<<< firobug_interest

Post by tintar »

posting new thread to keep on topic, also if others search for the same info

I've used devices that accept a wide range of voltage - meshpotato & a lot of ubiquiti hardware will run safely on ~ 10VDC - 40VDC. INSANE: it will also run on 100 to 250 volts AC. yes directly off AC.

flukso will run on ~ 5VDC up to like... 12? 18?

crazy military field telephones that run on 20VDC up to 60. (even had them working at an unsupported 12V but I could not get a lot of distance)

common factor? very good built in regulators, transformers, switching.

so, I saw this
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... B1ZRsZRtbk

Gerald said: "5.2V is the max. Go past that and bad things will happen. USB is 5.2V max."

Loren said: "BBB Power:
No onboard input voltage regulation! Input jack connects directly to TPS65217C PM IC.

From tps65217c.pdf:
-----
Absolute Maximum Supply voltage range, USB, AC: -0.3 to 20 V
RECOMMENDED OPERATING CONDITIONS - Supply voltage, USB, AC: 4.3 to 5.8 V
Maximum Input current from AC: 2.5 A
VIN(OVP) Input over voltage detection threshold USB, AC: 5.8 (typ)6 (max)6.4 V
provides a linear battery charger for single-cell Li-ion and Li-Polymer batteries...
-----

The 5V rails VDD_5V and SYS_5V go to the LEDs, the expansion connector, the DVI/HDMI connector, and the USB connectors. Unless you are using these for something which needs regulated +5V, the wider 4.3 to 5.8 V limits will keep the board itself happy.

It will safely disconnect from an input that exceeds about 6V, and can then handle up to 20V. But it is _not_ protected from reverse polarity!"

there are capes that take a 9v battery. obvs those have some kind of regulator. there are capes that have e.g. lithium-polymer at not quite 5v and will keep it charged.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”