BeagleBone purchase?

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
eagletree

BeagleBone purchase?

Post by eagletree »

I could not see anywhere else to ask this. My needs are simple. I need a linux computer that can receive files by WiFi (say FTP). The files are text (Gcode). Then I need the ability to VNC into that computer and run a python 3.4 script to send the Gcode via serial over USB to an Arduino driving a CNC mill. I currently have an old Mac doing this, but the BeagleBone Black preinstalled with Debian sounds like it would be ideal.

I can't seem to figure out exactly which items to purchase to accomplish this. The BeagleBone Black w/Debian sounds like a good start, but I can't tell if the starter kit is the same BeagleBone Black w/Debian or a different version. I would like the starter kit in case I want to play with it. Then it needs the USB WiFi adaptor. But it would seem I would need the cape that acts as a USB hub since a keyboard and mouse would also be necessary and a compact flash "disk" would be nice. That would be four devices and on top of that, the Arduino needs to obtain it's power and comm from that same USB. I don't see one available here, and where I did find one, it only supported 4 USB devices? The monitors appear to be straightforward, but does that require the HDMI convertor cable?

One final question I had was if I needed something to ensure that the USB port would have sufficient power for running the Arduino.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: BeagleBone purchase?

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

I would go with the Raspberry Pi and a WiFi dongle.
https://www.adafruit.com/search?q=usb%20wifi

If you can, use a powered hub for the WiFi dongle and the USB-Serial cable.
https://www.adafruit.com/products/961

Could you just use an Arduino directly, and skip the Linux? We have WiFi modules for Arduino.
https://www.adafruit.com/search?q=cc3000

eagletree

Post by eagletree »

Thank you on the response. I guess so if there is no compelling reason to go BBB. It appeared that the Raspberry Pi was not dedicated to Linux, and I'm rather a Unix only person. But, saw where you could run Linux on the Raspberry Pi so I guess I should take advantage of the larger community.

One question on the Arduino idea. That would actually be perfect. Except I'm not sure if the Arduino supplied with GRBL from Inventables/Shapeoko could use the WiFi link. Is it dependent on what the Arduino is running for an OS/Monitor program? I'm showing my noobishness here, but I was under the impression that what I have is task-centric code burned into the Arduino. There is also the issue that I will be supporting the tinyg from the same unit sitting in the shop, seems that would rule out going direct to Arduino?

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

The R Pi is entirely a LInux micro.

Arduinos don't run an OS. If yours is already dedicated to an application, then you don't want to mess with it.

eagletree

Post by eagletree »

I see that now, and Debian to boot.

I will go with the new Raspberry Pi (B+) which has sufficient ports it appears. I'll use the TP port to go to an external access point since I have to have a separate antenna to make the distance from my shop to the house. That should work with that and with 4 USBs, that covers the rest.

Thanks so much for the support.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”