Black - UART project

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jeffgeee

Black - UART project

Post by jeffgeee »

Hello,

Can you help lead me in the right direction. I need to do a UART communication project on my Beaglebone black for school. It has to be written all in ARM assembly language (no C, no bonescript, and no linux command lines). I mention this because most projects seem to include anything, but assembly language.

I was looking at http://www.adafruit.com/products/364 (PN532 NFC/RFID controller breakout board) and http://www.adafruit.com/products/1946 (Adafruit FONA - Mini Cellular GSM Breakout uFL Version) as options. I did see that the mini-cellular is currently out of stock. Any idea when the cellular might be back in stock? Would either of these be decent items for a project to interface and communicate with, without too much scope? I only ask because I am new to BBB and I really have no clue how difficult it would be to communicate with either of these products.

I'm not sure exactly what I want the project to do yet, but maybe when I push a button (connected to a GPIO pin) the board will then program a RFID item with certain content, but if I press another button the board will then program a RFID item with other content. Or something similar with sending messages on the mini cellular kit.

Any insight would be helpful. BTW, I have some exposure modifying the .gel file and performing interrupt functions on GPIO pins with ARM assembly code.

Thanks,
Jeff

P.S. I am running a Beaglebone black, rev B with Angstrom. Using CCS 5.X and a JTAG emulator from TI XDS100V2

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Black - UART project

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

If your project has to be written in assembler, you probably don't want to use NFC.. it takes a whole library (libnfc) to handle the signals and formatting.

It would be easier to manage communication with a GPS module. Those also communicate through a UART, and the signals are plain text.

jeffgeee

Post by jeffgeee »

Ok. Thank you.

jstampfl

Post by jstampfl »

I would recommend the Adafruit "Ultimate GPS". It comes up sending well formated ASCII data with no configuration needed. Makes a UART project much easier. Can also accept ASCII command sequences.

jeffgeee

Post by jeffgeee »

Another good suggestion. Thank you.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”