Features of the upcoming Mini Minty?

Minty so good. Minty so tasty.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
coltxL2717

Features of the upcoming Mini Minty?

Post by coltxL2717 »

Sorry if this is posted somewhere else, but seeing as i could not find it i thought i would start a new topic. I was wondering what the feature list for the upcoming Mini Minty is. Also, ladyada, do you have a price for the kits in mind? What can we absolutely expect not to see in Mini Minty (LCD support, FM tuner)? Thanks.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hi. im not sure. #1 function is that it works. & i'm still messing with that. :)

until i get a prototype i cant be 100% sure of anything (function, price, play time)...however: probably wont have LCD, may have FM (although it is optional), cost is probably around $75 per kit w/rechargable batteries, but no memory card (you supply)

backass2

Fm

Post by backass2 »

I hope that the FM is available. At least as an option. It's really one of the features that makes it interesting to me and a unique feature that not many MP3 players have.

What do you suppose the max memory card size would be? will it be determined by ones wallet or will it be a hardware limitation? I hope it is bigger than 1 Gig.

chaostic

Post by chaostic »

I think the max for SD and MMC is at 1 gig right now.

A Great White Bird

Post by A Great White Bird »

I just read about this now... I'm totally into it! I have *some* prowess when it comes to taking things apart & putting together, have built a bunch of stuff in Reaktor. I could probably handle a kit.

I'm wondering about recording possibilities! I want an mp3 player than I can record line into - how feasable is that?

chaostic

Post by chaostic »

Great White Bird: The proposed mp3 chip for the miniminty is the vs1011b (http://www.vlsi.fi/vs1011/vs1011.shtml) It does not have a adc so it cannot handle recording. VLSI's other products, the vs1002 handles mono in, but not compress to mp3 format. The Vs1003 differs from the vs1002 in that it can accept both mic and line in, but it is still mono. I'm pretty sure the code differences would not be too much inbetween the chips for it to work like intended in the MiniMinty, but the recording code needs to be created. The vs1011 was also choosen for its form factor to allow those new to smd soldering to be able to make this kit.

Disclaimer: Speculation and educated guesses where made above ^_^

luke

Post by luke »

if you are looking for an mp3 player that can record, i'd recommend going on ebay and getting a used achros jukebox recorder. they're bulky because they're old, but you can get a 20 gig one for around $100, and i've loved mine. there's also an open source operating system project called rockbox, because the OS that comes with it sucks. rockbox is really nice, and you can record direct to mp3.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyMP3”