Another Miniminty?

Minty so good. Minty so tasty.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Andy

Another Miniminty?

Post by Andy »

Has anyone seen this other miniminty? [/url]http://industrialogic.com/mini-minty/[url]Do you know these people Limor?[/url]

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

yeah he emailed me a long time ago for help with building a minty. little did i know where that would lead! :)
while im a little annoyed he's using the same name, i dont feel like arguing about it. his kit isn't bad, but i looked at the mp3 chip he's using and decided against it for many reasons (its buggy, slow, and very difficult to solder). that said, it probably works as advertised.

Todd

Post by Todd »

I do want to apologize again for using the same name. In all honesty, I had decided on the miniMinty name before I knew you were going to do the same. I thought it was catchy and apparently you did too. ;)

Now, as for the AT89C51SND1C being buggy, I'm not quite sure what you've based that claim upon. It's an Atmel 8051 core with a hardware MP3 decoder built-in. Aside from that fact that I haven't personally encountered any problems, I find it unlikely that the silicon is buggy. Buggy compilers perhaps, but that's a completely different issue. There are dozens of 8051 compilers out there with varying degrees of reliability.

I can see how you might have a problem with the 8051 instructions taking multiple cycles to execute. However, the device will run at 20HMz down below 3.3V (I don't think the ATMega88 does). But really, how much performance do you need to read data from an SD card and send it to your hardware MP3 decoder? Plus it has 2304 bytes of RAM to make buffering a tad easier.

Soldering can be a little difficult if you don't have a decent iron, I'll admit, but .65mm pitch versus the .80mm pitch of the ATMega88 is a negligible difference. All things considered, it's a wonderful part. You shouldn't make it sound so bad!

I'll get you the kit I promised you soon and you can see for yourself. It'll be a gesture of thanks since you're the one that started all of this with the original minty. I know everyone here appreciates it, including me.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Todd wrote: Soldering can be a little difficult if you don't have a decent iron, I'll admit, but .65mm pitch versus the .80mm pitch of the ATMega88 is a negligible difference. All things considered, it's a wonderful part. You shouldn't make it sound so bad!
who says i'm using the surface mount version of the atmega88?? I'm using the DIP! ;) (The rest of the parts are SOIC)

I'll admit that the chip isnt that bad...granted most of the 'buggy' stuff I heard was word of mouth from other mp3 player builders. My friend lent me his devkit for the chip but to be honest I never got it going!

That said, the sta013 (at least) seems a lot better than the vs1011

Andyg

MiniMinty Kit

Post by Andyg »

Can I get a kit too?........ :D :roll:

Todd

Post by Todd »

Limor gets a freebie because she's special.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to give away free kits to everyone. However, I've managed to blow through a few rounds of samples already, so I'm at the "now I have to buy it all" stage. Digi-Key loves it. I should set up a Net 30 account with them. I'm pretty much just trying to recover costs because I had fun making it, and that's profit enough.

Lame? Perhaps. Fun nonetheless.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyMP3”