LCD in Minty MP3!!!!

Minty so good. Minty so tasty.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
zirix

LCD in Minty MP3!!!!

Post by zirix »

Hello, I like to know if somebody of you have thought about add it to the Minty MP3 a LCD for show the labels ID3 of this type of files (name of the author, song, ...).

Or this is very complicated to add?

I expect your answers.

chaostic

Post by chaostic »

From what I read, the sta013 itself doesnt do lcd, maybe the pic can if you add a lcd controller to the board. All you really need to do is change the programming in the pic.

bruor

Post by bruor »

you can use an lcd with the pic really easily. even if there are only 4 data lines. theres even a library available from microchip that you can use to make setting up the lcd and displaying on it a snap. this works with the standard well known hitachi (and compatable) controllers. if you wanted you could even get a nice oled display from digikey that speaks hitachi and save yourself soem bat life as well.

theres no need for an lcd chip to handle this, lcd writes have to be low speed anyway, 30ms between char xfers, and you could set it up to drive by interrupts which should leave plenty of time for the pic to handle other things.

Post by Guest »

Thank you very much by your answers.
But I want to know like extracting information ID3 of the file through STA013, to be able to show it in the LCD.
Or this serious very complicated one?

Thank you.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

i'd get everything working with MP3 playing -first- and then try adding an LCD ...its hard enough as it is :)

zirix

Post by zirix »

It asked this because in my project of the university I must make a MP3 player, and they have said to me that I must to him put a LCD.

If you have some idea or you know where I can find information me about it serious of much aid.

Thank you.

xoxota

Post by xoxota »

Hi Zirix. If you're looking for an easy / lazy way out, you can try the YAMPP-7. Comes in a kit, and supports a Nokia 6610 Color LCD, but you'll have to find yourself an LCD and 3.7 LiIon batt seperately.

...doesn't have a cool FM transmitter, though. Also doesn't come with minty-fresh flavor!

zirix

Post by zirix »

Thank you very much xoxota, by your advice, already I had seen also this player but does not give his source code, reason why I have seen in his Web, which comes is "Download sourcecode for yampp-7 Bootloader", but not the full source code.

chaostic

Post by chaostic »

No offense, but isn't the point of an experiment in a U to make a mp3 by yourself or in a group along with other engineers, not just find someone elses work and build it (Even if it is a GNU-ish hardware)?

Designing the board it self isn't that hard. I could do it after reading the requirements for the various parts. The hard parts the code.

Anyway, here's the sta013's datasheet: http://us.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/6399.pdf

I haven't read it, but it should tell you how, if its allowed, to parse id3 back to the pic. If not, the pic must handle the parsing. You are going to have to figure out how to build the code for that.

And the YMMJ, its not free hardware like Minty. You need to buy the parts from them to be able to run it, I believe. I wasn't able to find anything that would indicate to the contary.

xoxota

Post by xoxota »

Actually, you can buy all parts from digikey (or whoever), you don't have to buy from them. They also have Eagle schematics and board layouts, open-source bootloader and firmware.

But enough about this competing (and obviously inferior) product! More MINTY!!!

chaostic-offline

Post by chaostic-offline »

Can you link the schematics and layouts???

xoxota

Post by xoxota »

The Yampp site is an organizational nightmare, so finding what you're looking for is a test of patience at best.

go to www.yampp.com, and under Yampp Homepage > downloads, you should see "yampp-7 Schematic/Layout Rev. D". Specifically, you want anything on that sight to do with Yampp-7 (the portable yampp). In amongst the mishmash is firmware, bootloader, even a forum and webshop, where you can order a kit to build the damn thing. All you need is a decent 3V7 battery, and a Nokia 6100 color LCD.

chaostic

Post by chaostic »

Thank you. Looks like I will be making two mp3 players now...

MARIO

HELP ME I Help YOU?

Post by MARIO »

Hello to all who this may encounter. I hope this email
reaches you on a great day and in good health.
Anyways, I'm a college student at the Auraria Campus
in Denver, CO the mile High city. I'm currently
collabarating with several of my peers in order to
make a dent in the MP3 market. I have many resources
and talented students willing to go to bat to show-off
our talents. We could make a great product that would
sell at a dramatic pace on Campus and off. Especially,
in and around campus an of course online.The first
thing we did was take a survey to see that 84-96% of
all students really want an MP3 player. Most do not
want anything to do with ipod or the high costs of a
name brand. I thought with a sample of parts our team
could get to work and create a couple of prototypes
'till we made the ideal player. Then will come back
for more parts and willing to do business.

Please let me know what you think.
Thanks a lot

Mario

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyMP3”