MAX2606 range

Minty so good. Minty so tasty.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
harryv

MAX2606 range

Post by harryv »

If i use the standard diagram for the MAX2606 specified as here: http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/ap ... umber/1869 (i think mintymp3 uses the same?) what is the approx. range of the signal then ?

xoxota

Post by xoxota »

Well, that page you link to specifies "88MHz to 108MHz", but I wonder if I really need "75 cm of wire", as they state? Don't know if that will fit in the altoids case...

chaostic-offline

Post by chaostic-offline »

Minty uses the same application note as maxim supplies, minus the pot on r2. Minty's r2 in the fm transmitter is a fixed 10k resistor.

As for the 75 cm of wire, I would hope its coiled, or that you can use the altoid tin as the antenna.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

yeah i just coil the long wire in the case and when im transmitting i feed it thru a hole i drilled in the tin...

chaostic

Post by chaostic »

sounds like a job for a mini pullout collapsable antenna...

Which I'm building... The fm transmitter by itself in a Altoids Gum case with a pullout antenna I got from a dead RC Micro car controller. My nice headphones, a RatShack :D pair with built in digital radio means wireless computer gaming...

xoxota

Post by xoxota »

Sure, as long as you don't mind your neighbors listening in on their stereos, or the FCC busting down your door for unlicensed FM broadcast.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

its absolutely not illegal to broadcast very-low-power FM. thats why you can buy stuff like griffin's "iTrip"

limor

xoxota

Post by xoxota »

I know, but it's fun to BANNED. Sorry. :oops:

chaostic

Post by chaostic »

I've worked at a pirate radio station (Old Cramped police prisoner transport van) I know the deal with whats legal and whats not.

FattyMcCrimm

FM Tranmitter

Post by FattyMcCrimm »

Chaostic, Do you have any schematics for the stand alone tranmitter? I'd like to build somthing like that but I'm not having any luck with a design. Any help would be appreciated.

chaostic

Re: FM Tranmitter

Post by chaostic »

FattyMcCrimm wrote:Chaostic, Do you have any schematics for the stand alone tranmitter? I'd like to build somthing like that but I'm not having any luck with a design. Any help would be appreciated.
If you look at the very first post in this thread, by harryv, the link shows the schematic. Now, if you want a actual circuit board for the schematic, I haven't got that far yet. I have yet to do anything. But once school finishes next week, its breadboarding time.

chaostic

Post by chaostic »

//The FCC says only 150uV/meter at 10 meters is allowed so I'm guessing any more power than what this has could not be FCC certified and sold at retail outlets nationwide.//

Found that on some site. The legal fm transmitter needs to be under under 1050vu/meter at ten meters. Then again, I doubt that the FCC Gestapo will be outside your car or whatnot making sure you transmit at that strength. Just, dont try pirate radioing and you will be safe.

FattyMcCrimm

Post by FattyMcCrimm »

DOH! Thanks :oops:

ryder1650

Post by ryder1650 »

What kind of wire do you use for the antenna? It is not insulated right?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyMP3”