Harddrive

Minty so good. Minty so tasty.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
byrnerat101

Harddrive

Post by byrnerat101 »

How would I go about swapping an ide harddrive for the cf card? Ive seen adapters for them but would i need to make any programming or other such changes? Anyone have a practicle way to power the device? Also, what format would the drive have to be in, what kind of partitioning scheme? Thanks,
~Patch

Post by Guest »

Good idea! I would like to know too. HD has a lot more space for less money comparative to cards.

xoxota

Post by xoxota »

Caveat: I know nothing about this.

...but I would imagine the HD would need a seperate power supply (I really doubt the 3.7V would do it :)).

Tom61

Post by Tom61 »

If it uses standard ATA commands it should work. Some of the newer laptop drives can use 3.3Volts for power.

The_Truth

harddrive

Post by The_Truth »

lol.. just wait a few mts, and you can get one of the new NAND harddrives... 16 gigabytes, of NAND chips... the power consumption is alot lower(they claim it adds ~30minutes of battery life)... not sure about voltage tho...lol..

xoxota

Re: harddrive

Post by xoxota »

The_Truth wrote:lol.. just wait a few mts, and you can get one of the new NAND harddrives... 16 gigabytes, of NAND chips
Dang! More info plz. Link?

tony

harddrive

Post by tony »

i was wondering did anyone manage to hook it up to a hard drive.
i have one i could use and i wouldn't need to transfer files to it as i have an adapter

kuenrg

Post by kuenrg »

I might pursue this sometime but not anytime soon so don't hold your breath.

However, a couple of comments...
Most current HDDs need 5V (I did a brief scan of the Fujitsu sight and they don't seem to offer any 3.3 but they're probably out there)
If you're thinking about tapping off the USB port (which would eliminate the mobility) - USB devices are limited to 500mA, a brief scan of the HDD's that I have give a range of 1A to 550mA - which is quite a lot. (Ipod's and the like don't use these regular 2.5" drives)
I happen to have some solid state disks that only require 250mA so that's why I'm considering this option but normally they would be much more expensive than an equivalent CF card.
I haven't looked at what data lines would be needed...

But the main thing is - it wouldn't fit in the the case so it wouldn't be very minty at all!

TheMaximumweasel

Post by TheMaximumweasel »

also the filesystem used for minty can't read more than 2GB so your better off with just the CF cards.

Max

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyMP3”