kits?

Minty so good. Minty so tasty.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

kits?

Post by Guest »

lady
when u say u will have kits, do u mean kits for minty mp3, or the mini minty? or both. i want to order the mini minty, if you are finish.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

im just going to have miniminty kits. hopefully soon...working on it. i just got my MP3 chip samples from VLSI so I can start writing c0de

xoxota

Post by xoxota »

Hi LadyAda. Which VL chip are you considering using? The 1003 just became available for sampling, and supports MP3, WMA, and MIDI. Check it out: http://www.vlsi.fi/download/download.shtml

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

MIDI? wtf?

that chip isnt available in SOIC so im not using it.

xoxota

Post by xoxota »

What the heck does SOIC stand for, anyways? I never took a surface mount course or anything, so I'm not familiar with all the package names, and what they mean. I mean, I know TQFP stands for something Quad Flat Pack, and that a 1206 package is larger than a 0603, but...

Do you know of a good Web Reference I can use to look these things up, when I get lost?

thanks,

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

i think SOIC stands for "small outline IC" and its the 'easiest' of the surface mount components. i think philips has a big catalog. basically, the ftdi/pic is TQFP (thin quad flat pack) and the STA013 and CS4334 (or whatever) is SOIC. my list of preference (for kits) is: DIP, SOIC, PLCC, TQFP, TSSOP, CSP and BGA. I need good tools to do TSSOP, can barely do CSP and BGA is impossible.

SOIC is a happy package: its easy to solder, and the pins are wide enough to pass traces through.

xoxota

Post by xoxota »

ladyada wrote:my list of preference (for kits) is: DIP, SOIC, PLCC, TQFP, TSSOP, CSP and BGA. I need good tools to do TSSOP, can barely do CSP and BGA is impossible.
uhmm.... Okay. Where can I find information on all these package types? I've also heard of a "no-lead" package type (similar to TQFP, but with no leads at all). What possible use can this package type be, if you can't connect it? Maybe I'm just naive...

thanks,

LP

Post by LP »

I am so buying a kit when they are ready

chaostic

Post by chaostic »

xoxota wrote:
ladyada wrote:my list of preference (for kits) is: DIP, SOIC, PLCC, TQFP, TSSOP, CSP and BGA. I need good tools to do TSSOP, can barely do CSP and BGA is impossible.
uhmm.... Okay. Where can I find information on all these package types? I've also heard of a "no-lead" package type (similar to TQFP, but with no leads at all). What possible use can this package type be, if you can't connect it? Maybe I'm just naive...

thanks,
I think by no leads it means that the connections are underneath the body, like the V1003 has, or spring leads which make it easily removable. The pic18LF542-I/L I got for minty is the latter. (I did get the right package as well, also got the dip package)

And boy was I wrong to start a USB soundcard project with the main chip being SSOP28 then... Thank god for that toaster oven reflow trick.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyMP3”