Occidentalist with tendaW311m :)
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Occidentalist with tendaW311m :)

by waltermixxx on Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:57 pm

howdy, first off, I love this image... it's great...
I did get my wireless usb device working, but it would show up as wlan1 not wlan0, I was able to get around this and edit the /etc/network/interfaces file, and added a /etc/wpa.conf file with my wireless network info in it...

my question is, how do get my usb card to be wlan0 and not wlan1. I think the default configured adafruit wireless wifi offering is being setup as wlan0. Ideally I would like to remove reference to it, just not sure where to start...

help? :) I hope this makes sense... :)
waltermixxx

Re: Occidentalist with tendaW311m :)

by waltermixxx on Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:20 pm

I decided to edit the interfaces file, Instead of putting the entries for wlan1 after the wlan0 entries, i simply removed the wlan0 entries and only put in wlan1 info:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan1
iface wlan1 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "RASPINETWORK"
wpa-psk "0123456789"

(for example) and it worked great out of the box...

works like a charm. still referred to as wlan1 but at least there is no extra config stuff in there...
waltermixxx

by waltermixxx on Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:29 pm

eeek i think this falls under linux support... sorry folks :)

let me conclude by simply re-stating this is a great distro...
I will go ask my newbie linux questions on the raspberry pi forum :)

cheers :) and sorry about that.
waltermixxx

by Steverino on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:15 am

This should probably be a more general WiFi thread since the issue is not specific to the tendaw311n. I had similar issues with the Edimax EW-7811Un, but I solved it in a different way.

The /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules already has an entry in it that associates wlan0 to whatever network device was used to build the Occidentalist 0.1 distribution (specified by a MAC address). I removed that entry so one could be created for my device. After that, my device was recognized as wlan0.

I recommend that a few sentences are added to the Occidentalist information page that mentions this issue with the wifi setup. It's almost as easy as the page describes, but not quite.

That said, the WiFi on the Raspberry is working well with the EW-7811Un. Thanks for the work you've done on Occidentalist.
Steverino