Does Occidentalis have USB hidraw support compiled in?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Does Occidentalis have USB hidraw support compiled in?

by ame on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:55 pm

I need access to /dev/hidraw0, which is created when certain USB devices are plugged in. hidraw support is not compiled in to the Arch and Raspian OS images. Can someone tell me if it is or is not compiled in to adafruit's Occidentalis?

Thank you.
ame

Re: Does Occidentalis have USB hidraw support compiled in?

by adafruit on Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:06 pm

if its not in rasbian, we didn't add it.

whats the point of hidraw0? is it a good idea to add?
adafruit

Re: Does Occidentalis have USB hidraw support compiled in?

by ame on Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:19 pm

adafruit wrote:if its not in rasbian, we didn't add it.

whats the point of hidraw0? is it a good idea to add?

Thanks for your reply.

As far as I know it's "in" Raspbian, but it's a kernel compile option which just isn't switched on. I could compile my own kernel (with this option selected), but I don't have the facilities to do that right now, which is why I am looking for an OS image that already has it.

hidraw is a low-level USB interface for sending and receiving HID packets to/from a USB device. I think it's a good idea to add it, because I have a USB device that I want to send data to :)

I don't know how many people would be interested in general, so I can't recommend that you should turn it on by default, and I don't know the reason why it isn't turned on by default in the Raspian or Arch images.

I'll keep looking.
ame