WiFi Frustration

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
n1mie

WiFi Frustration

Post by n1mie »

I received my Adafruit WiFi module yesterday. I've tried on two different RPis with no success. I've tried exactly to emulate what is discussed on the Occidentalis page. iwconfig shows only eth0 and lo. My /etc/network/interfaces file has only wlan1 entries. I've tried to manually enter my network ssid and password, even trying the guest one which has no password. In my /etc/udev/rules.d/70.persistent-net.rules file I tried both changing the wlan0 to wlan1 as well as commenting out the line. Neither worked. Truly I am stumped by the black magic required to make this work. I am also confused by why you list some commands (such as iwconfig) that tell me the commands don't even exist unless I preface them with sudo. I was really stumped until I stumbled on that oolie.

Help.
--Chip

adafruit

Re: WiFi Frustration

Post by adafruit »

are you running occidentalis?

thanks!

n1mie

Post by n1mie »

Yes, I am running Rubus Occidentalis. I forgot to mention that. I will provide an update in that I had a breakthrough. I dove into v0.2 on one card and had immediate success. It recognized the card. I still took me a little while to determine why it wasn't connecting to the network. But by manually adding the name and password of the network to the network/interfaces file I was successful. So now my Pi is doing an install over wifi. Ah, looks like it just finished. (Actually I am installing on the Pi, through an SSH connection to my desktop, and viewing/controlling it via a VNC session on my laptop. I often use VNC or SSH to control a server elsewhere in the house, soon one of my four Pi's will be put to similar uses.)

Thanks for the quick reply.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

n1mie wrote:Yes, I am running Rubus Occidentalis. I forgot to mention that. I will provide an update in that I had a breakthrough. I dove into v0.2 on one card and had immediate success. It recognized the card. I still took me a little while to determine why it wasn't connecting to the network. But by manually adding the name and password of the network to the network/interfaces file I was successful. So now my Pi is doing an install over wifi. Ah, looks like it just finished. (Actually I am installing on the Pi, through an SSH connection to my desktop, and viewing/controlling it via a VNC session on my laptop. I often use VNC or SSH to control a server elsewhere in the house, soon one of my four Pi's will be put to similar uses.) Thanks for the quick reply.
excellent, thank you!

n1mie

Post by n1mie »

Of course that just led me into my next road block. I must say that I've done a fair amount of unix stuff on my Mac. I've become relatively comfortable around the command line, but ...

Firstly on this debian it's crazy, it won't let me copy into a directory if I don't have priveleges, won't even ask me to authenticate like it does on the Mac. So I resort to coping off a jump drive, but that will only copy the first directory, the first sub directory, the first file within the sub directory, even with recursive flag set. ARGH.

All I want to do is connect to the silly thing over the network and copy files. But I can't find a way to connect the Pi to my Macs such that it sees the hard disks, and I can't get the Macs to connect to the Pi as a disk. So the ONLY way I've found to move files to the Pi is via jump drives, and now that isn't working (Occidentalis v0.2).

Time to go meet my wife for dinner. Maybe I'll have a fresh idea when I come home.

jreddin1

Post by jreddin1 »

Not an expert on the rPi (yet), but I know a bit about UNIX/Linux. If you want to see the rPi drives, you will likely have to use NFS to export and mount the drives, or something similar like Samba. I don't know if Occidentalis supports either, but they should. Otherwise, you should be able to use scp to copy from one to the other. I.e. "scp root@myPi:/home/mydir/* ."

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”