Using Occidentalis v0.2 with wired lan

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
mosftfan

Using Occidentalis v0.2 with wired lan

Post by mosftfan »

I'm trying to use Occidentalis V0.2 with the Raspberry Pi standard wired lan (wlan0). When using the default Wheezy distro, the network is usable and I can ssh there.
But apparently based on the release notes ("Removed persistant wlan0 entry"), it looks like it might have been disabled.
How can wlan0 be re-enabled? I tried editing /etc/network/interfaces to have the same containts as the Wheezy version, but that hasn't re-enabled it.
Thanks.

Wody

Re: Using Occidentalis v0.2 with wired lan

Post by Wody »

Hi, wlan stands for wireless lan, not wired lan. So, it is only used when you use wireless networking and should be created automaticly by the driver/operating system when a wireless adapter is installed.

mosftfan

Re: Using Occidentalis v0.2 with wired lan

Post by mosftfan »

Found the problem - using the adaFruit power adapter with both a keyboard and wireless mouse plugged in caused enough flakey problems with the ethernet controller (or driver). The ethernet device appears to be detected during bootup (from the scrolling output) but either looses its link or does not acquire an IP address by login time. Entering "hostname -I" gives a blank ip or "ping google.com" gives cannot resolve address.
If I disconnect the wireless mouse, and keep just the keyboard, then the ethernet consistently works (with Occidentalis V0.2).
So another case of not enough power available to handle USB devices.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”