Headless Occidentalis 0.2 and Xming
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Headless Occidentalis 0.2 and Xming

by jdwbmc on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:20 pm

I have a new Pi, but no keyboard or monitor to use with it. I am using the Occidentalis 0.2 image. I decided to use PuTTY to make a SSH connection to the Pi. This works fine. I've tried to use Xming to run an X Server on my Windows 7 laptop. Unfortunately, when I run the command 'startx' on the Pi, I get no X Window on my Windows 7 machine. I do set X Forwarding with PuTTY. I was wondering if anyone was aware of an issue doing this with Occidentalis 0.2 as opposed to a standard image? If I can make this work, I save the cost of a keyboard and monitor. This is a significant savings I can spend instead on more Adafruit accessories. :D Thanks.

John
jdwbmc

Re: Headless Occidentalis 0.2 and Xming

by jdwbmc on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:01 pm

PuTTY can make an SSH connection to the Pi for a terminal type connection.
Xming will let you pop up a window running an application. For example, if you enter 'midori' as a command in the teminal, the browser will pop up in its own window on the laptop.
Use Tightvnc to be able to see the Linux desktop running on the Pi and display it on the laptop. You will need to install the server on the Pi and the viewer on the laptop.
jdwbmc