Limited Edition Raspberry Pibow quality problems..

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
majordecibel

Limited Edition Raspberry Pibow quality problems..

Post by majordecibel »

Hi,

First of all, I hate to complain. I really do. I think that Adafruit has done a great job with the tutorials, support, providing the right products.

Unfortunately I haven't been too happy with the quality control.. I've had some issues with a few other products too, but I wanted to mention this one. A number of these things may not be the fault of Adafruit, so I don't want to cast the blame, I just want to point out the problem.

1. The packaging came open. Like torn open. There's a tab that holds the whole thing together, and for some reason it's been opened already in the same way I would have done - tear the packaging. I'm not sure if this relates to the following problems.. you ship all your products new right?
2. There was a white powder all of the pieces of plastic. I suppose this might be from the manufacturing process, but I thought these were laser cut, so I'm a little surprised. My guess would be a less than clean work environment, which leaves the mystery powder to be a bit BANNED when I have to try and clean each piece.. (this is on the side that doesn't have the protective film)
3. The clear plastic they used was crappy. It's translucent in a number of spots (like milky white). It's all scratched up on the non-protective side too.
4. This one surprises me, I'll try and get a picture up.. for some reason there's a hole where there shouldn't be one - on the bottom clear plate there's a group of 4 holes. One of them has a "double offset drill" where it looks kind of like a hollowed out figure 8 (you know what I mean) - an error drill (or laser cut). My guess is they used a piece of scrap and didn't notice it. This just looks bad. Like this is _basic_ stuff: use good material if you're shipping a product.

Perhaps not all Adafruit's fault, but unfortunately as much as I like Adafruit for other reasons, I don't think I'll be ordering anything else. (other problems: box for a multimeter was opened already, temperature probe didn't work - Adafruit replaced free of charge! LED strip light: the adhesive had actually melted and goo'ed over the visible side of the strip from poor manufacturing I suspect, looked pretty bad, sticky to work with).

.. quality control (what you can where you can before you ship, please)!

adafruit

Re: Limited Edition Raspberry Pibow quality problems..

Post by adafruit »

majordecibel wrote:"Just wanted to say that I received the new probe in the mail - unfortunately the packaging was really really damaged through no fault of Adafruit (it had been sealed in another bag, with apologies from the post office).
it sounds like someone has been opening your packages.

regarding your note - that's something we've never heard of or seen, please email [email protected] and we'll send out a free replacement / refund of course!

if the package was opened, it was likely damaged/messed up. that's outside our control but we'll do everything to make it right.

we've also emailed you directly.

thanks!
adafruit support, phil

majordecibel

Post by majordecibel »

Thanks to phil at Adafruit for the lightning fast customer support reflexes.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

majordecibel wrote:Thanks to phil at Adafruit for the lightning fast customer support reflexes.
thanks!

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”