Heating problem with OURLINK wifi

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
SpaceZ

Heating problem with OURLINK wifi

Post by SpaceZ »

Hi,
I have bought from your store an ourlink wifi dongle (The tiny one) and I've just received it today.
There is a little problem with it.
When I try to make it work with my raspberry (with an external hub or not!), the dongle is very noisy (high tone in your ear) but it is very hot too. (When I say hot, I want to say, it can leak your thumb if you put on it.)

I tried on two different raspberry to be sure of what I tell you. And any of them were able to see something in dmesg.
For information, I'm running occidentalis v2.0.
I would like to know if you have anything to tell me about it.
(As far as I know, my usb hub is excellent. It's a dlink Hub-H7 USB 2.0. And as I said, I tried on one port of the raspberry too.)

And I don't want to lose this dongle and by the way,my thumb too, so I will appreciate any suggestion you will make.

Thanks. :wink:

cpb

Re: Heating problem with OURLINK wifi

Post by cpb »

I have also just received a OURLINK wifi with an very extreme heating problem. It would shut down my pi, so I tried testing it in my desktop. It was declared an unknown usb device and became so hot I needed a pad to remove it. Please advise.

rcomeau

Post by rcomeau »

I also just received a pair of these wifi dongles. One works fine with the Raspberry Pi. The other one, although not getting hot, is recognized as a bad USB device on windows.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

sounds like a few bad ones - email support@adafruit with a link to this thread and request a new one!

SpaceZ

Post by SpaceZ »

Thank you very much for taking this in consideration.

nintwala

Post by nintwala »

I am having similar problems. It makes some sort of noise and get warm. I am afraid it might ruin my raspberry pi :(

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

nintwala wrote:I am having similar problems. It makes some sort of noise and get warm. I am afraid it might ruin my raspberry pi :(
dont worry, it will not damage your pi - please respond to the other thread you started :)

ehsharp

Post by ehsharp »

I just got one of these in yesterday and am having the same high frequency noise and heating problem.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”