Miniature Wireless USB Keyboard with Touchpad - ID: 922

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
RyanDuncum

Miniature Wireless USB Keyboard with Touchpad - ID: 922

Post by RyanDuncum »

I have two problems with this keyboard. One I know is special to me. The "6" and "7" keys are reversed. Took me a bit to figure that one out. Couldn't understand why my password was not working. The second issue is that the range seems to be extremely variable and inconsistent. Sometimes it can be used from 3-4ft way and others the keyboard has to be about a foot way from the dongle. If this keyboard was supposed to be used with an entertainment system or lectures and presentations like the box says I would think the range would be longer and more consistent. Doesn't matter whether there is a wifi dongle next to it or not. Sometimes this happens in the middle of typing!

Anyone else with this issue or have suggestions?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Miniature Wireless USB Keyboard with Touchpad - ID: 922

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Many things can affect the wireless range - including other wireless devices in the vicinity. But reversed keys is a problem we've never seen before. If you contact [email protected] with a link to this thread we can get you a replacement.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

t.d.stranger wrote:I have two problems with this keyboard. One I know is special to me. The "6" and "7" keys are reversed. Took me a bit to figure that one out. Couldn't understand why my password was not working. The second issue is that the range seems to be extremely variable and inconsistent. Sometimes it can be used from 3-4ft way and others the keyboard has to be about a foot way from the dongle. If this keyboard was supposed to be used with an entertainment system or lectures and presentations like the box says I would think the range would be longer and more consistent. Doesn't matter whether there is a wifi dongle next to it or not. Sometimes this happens in the middle of typing!

Anyone else with this issue or have suggestions?
do you have the right keyboard layout set up? or have the FUNCTION key on?

jggall01

Post by jggall01 »

I have one of these mini wireless keyboards (as of today). It works only within around 2 ft of the dongle. Past that and the communication between the Pi and the keyboard is lost. Working distance does not vary when plugged into power vs running from battery.

Suggestions to remedy this would be appreciated. It is pretty unusable in this condition. Thanks.

Jim

adafruit_support_bill

Are there any other wireless devices in the vicinity? Mice, phones, etc? My wireless mouse gets real sluggish if I am talking on the phone.

jggall01

Post by jggall01 »

There is a wireless router in the vicinity. Netgear 802.11g I think.

There is a wireless phone handset in the next room, but nothing in the vicinity of the Pi. And the problem is present with this phone switched off.

Jim

adafruit_support_bill

Just to be sure, move or switch off the router & see if it makes a difference. I don't think that is it, but there is no point in replacing the keyboard if it's not going to fix the problem.

jggall01

Post by jggall01 »

Switching off the wireless router allowed the keyboard range to extend up to about 6 feet. Beyond that, communication was broken or intermittent.

Is 6 feet about the max range for this device? My desire was to use the keyboard to remotely operate RaspBMC, but I would need a 15 ft range at minimum.

Jim

adafruit_support_bill

15 feet should be achievable. One more thing to check: Make sure the batteries are fully charged.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”