Project "Clipboard"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Lob0426

Project "Clipboard"

Post by Lob0426 »

Decided to build a project board for the Raspberry Pi. I looked at the Pi Dish but it looked too small for what I wanted. I picked up a clear blue acrylic clipboard from Wal-Mart. Next was a Board edge mounting kit, then a T-Cobbler and a breadboard wire bundle. I already had a half breadboard and a full breadboard here. Throw in a a rev 1.0 RasPi and the project is now complete!
Plenty of room to work and the T-Cobbler reaches either board.
Plenty of room to work and the T-Cobbler reaches either board.
RasPi work plate.jpg (54.82 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
The "clip" makes a handy place to keep the extra wires from the bundle. Might add a sectioned box to hold parts to it next!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Project "Clipboard"

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Great idea! :)

Lob0426

Re: Project "Clipboard"

Post by Lob0426 »

I have used the "Clipboard" for about a week of use now. I have found a couple of things I would change.

I would put a little separation between the half board and the full board. The T-cobbler overhangs the half board when it is plugged into the full board. If you wanted to have two projects, one on each board, you might interfere with the one one the half board.

I would put the RaspBerry Pi closer to the top edge of the clipboard. This would make it easier to remove the SD card. Putting a divot into the board, similar to the Pi Dish, would help also.

Having two Solderless boards makes it easier when you want to have a complicated project. I plan to have a ATMega168 on the half board and carry out the wiring to the full board. That means you can wire setup the ATMega up, capacitors, regulator, programming switch etc. and still have plenty of room to figure out your project connections.

A couple of tips:
Pre-thread the board edge mounts before you use them.
Layout your boards and RasPi before you mount anything, make sure they do not Nyerere with each other and that the cobbler will reach both boards.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”