C library for Adafruit RGB Negative 16x2 LCD+Keypad Kit for Raspberry Pi

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
janblomqvist

C library for Adafruit RGB Negative 16x2 LCD+Keypad Kit for Raspberry Pi

Post by janblomqvist »

Hi, I wonder if there are any C libraries or any C code for the Adafruit RGB Negative 16x2 LCD+Keypad Kit for Raspberry Pi. The software on the Git hub is just Python.

/Jan

adafruit

Re: C library for Adafruit RGB Negative 16x2 LCD+Keypad Kit for Raspberry Pi

Post by adafruit »

At this time we have only Python - there's a lot of dependencies that would be required to make it work in C, its not an easy task to port!

FunkyELF

Post by FunkyELF »

JanBlomqvist wrote:Hi, I wonder if there are any C libraries or any C code for the Adafruit RGB Negative 16x2 LCD+Keypad Kit for Raspberry Pi. The software on the Git hub is just Python.

/Jan
If you want to use it from C... calling Python code from C is pretty easy.
You'd just initialize a Python interpreter, instantiate a Adafruit_CharLCDPlate object. Keep it global for simplicity.
Then you can write C function wrappers that call the clear, message, and backlight functions on the the Adafruit_CharLCDPlate object.

Not a native C library, but if you want to be able to control it via C code, that'll work.

janblomqvist

Post by janblomqvist »

FunkyELF wrote: If you want to use it from C... calling Python code from C is pretty easy.
You'd just initialize a Python interpreter, instantiate a Adafruit_CharLCDPlate object. Keep it global for simplicity.
Then you can write C function wrappers that call the clear, message, and backlight functions on the the Adafruit_CharLCDPlate object.

Not a native C library, but if you want to be able to control it via C code, that'll work.
Thanks for the idea, but I had honestly hoped for complete C libs, anyway, I'll take this in account when I plan my coding, I need to think things over before I jump all over it.

/Jan

Coolrazor

Re: C library for Adafruit RGB Negative 16x2 LCD+Keypad Kit

Post by Coolrazor »

I see this thread is 4 years old so I was wondering if a library exists now? I'm very noob at coding, but for work I'm learning C# and thus put Windows IOT (don't hate me) on my Raspberry Pi 3 model B. I'd like to know if there is ANY way to control the interface (LCD+Buttons) inside Windows IOT?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: C library for Adafruit RGB Negative 16x2 LCD+Keypad Kit

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

We don't have anything against IoT, but we also don't support it directly. The folks at Microsoft have access to all our code (it's Open) and know more about porting to the IoT environment.

Check the forums there to see if anyone has a working port:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/w ... /Community

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”