Raspberry Pi won't boot - just get red power LED

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
bfalling

Raspberry Pi won't boot - just get red power LED

Post by bfalling »

Got the Raspberry Pi starter kit, but after loading the 2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian.img onto the MicroSD, I am simply unable to get it to boot. I've hit up all the Raspberry Pi troubleshooting forums, tried all the tricks I can think of, but am getting no love.

The only thing that happens when I plug it in is the red power LED lights up, while the SD card activity light shows a tiny pinprick of green. Nothing else happens, even if I wait many many minutes.

Specifically...

- I've been powering up with nothing at all connected except the power and the SD card.

- I flashed the Raspberry Debian 2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian.img multiple times onto the 4GB MicroSD card that came in the kit. I'm using Mac Mountain Lion, working from the command line. (I verified the checksum of the Raspbian download beforehand.)

- I tried flashing the OS onto a separate 2GB MicroSD card that I had. It didn't work either.

- Following the troubleshooting guides, I verified (as measured on the board) that the power supply seems to be working in the right voltage levels, as well as the on-board fuse.

Defective board? Anything else I can test?

Thanks!
-Brenton

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Raspberry Pi won't boot - just get red power LED

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Hi Brenton,

Can't think of anything you haven't already tried. Was this Pi purchased from Adafruit?

bfalling

Post by bfalling »

Yes, it was purchased from Adafruit -- the Raspberry Pi Starter Pack.

Sadly, I'm thinking I should return it to you. What do you think? And how should I proceed?

Thanks,
Brenton

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Contact [email protected] with a link to this thread to arrange a replacement.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”