Melted Plastic on Raspberry Pi WiFi

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
gibsonbrew

Melted Plastic on Raspberry Pi WiFi

Post by gibsonbrew »

Just tried to set-up my new Raspberry Pi (RPi) using the directions on the Adafruit Learning Syatems and was having trouble with the WiFi set-up. Shut down the RPi to try reseating USB adapter (OURLiNK) and noticed that the plastic had melted on the adapter and the RPi USB ports were hot to the touch. Not sure if it was a faulty WiFi or Raspberry Board. What should I do?

Bought all items from this store using the kit as the basis to decide what I needed to start.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Melted Plastic on Raspberry Pi WiFi

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Sounds like a short circuit somewhere. Can you post photos showing the damage & indicating the parts that were getting hot?

gibsonbrew

Post by gibsonbrew »

These are what I was able to snap before I ran out the door.

This picture shows where the board was getting hot (top of the USB ports):
Red Arrow points to the USB ports which was the only thing hot to touch.
Red Arrow points to the USB ports which was the only thing hot to touch.
photo 4e.JPG (859.09 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
These two pictures show the damage to the USB WiFI plug:
Show the melted plastic between shielding and case/grip.
Show the melted plastic between shielding and case/grip.
photo 1e.JPG (732.1 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
Shows the melted plastic around connectors
Shows the melted plastic around connectors
photo 2e.JPG (771.26 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
I tried plugging the RPi back in after a while and put my mouse into the same USB port the WiFi was in and I felt no noticeable heat gain after about 30 minutes of use. The WiFi adapter was only in for 5-10 minutes, based on this test (and the only visable damage) it seems that there is/was a short in the USB WiFi plug, but I would want to confirm with another test using a higher power requirement USB item.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I would agree. The Wi-Fi module appears to have been the source of the heat. You can try some other USB devices in the same socket, to be sure it is not the socket.

gibsonbrew

Post by gibsonbrew »

It seemed fine with a mouse plugged in. What's the exchange policy on the defective USB dongle?

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Please contact [email protected] to arrange a replacement. Include a link to this thread and your original order number

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”