Adafruit #570 in Inc 5000 & #11 in manufacturing - fastest-growing private companies in America - INC 5000 - Read more!
Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

New Run of Adafruit Pibow Does Not Work With Adafruit MicroSD Adapter

by phaedrus37 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:40 pm

Today, I received two Adafruit Pibows. I installed a Raspberry Pi board only to find that the case is a quite a bit thinner than the Rainbow Pibow and is therefore incompatible with the Adafruit MicroSD adapter. I can measure the specifics when I get home to my shop, but the current run of Adafruit Pibows appears to be about 3/32" shorter in stacking height than the Rainbow Pibow. Because the Rainbow Pibow assembled with the adapter in place without a problem, the adapter on the board for the Adafruit case scratched the clear acrylic as I tried to gently shift the board and case layers into a nonexistent correct orientation — I realize that this is a miserable, first-world complaint, leaning heavily towards whining, but I expect my patina of use to develop with use, on the outside.

Is this a manufacturing error with the cases? I reviewed the current product description; I don't believe that I missed a notification regarding incompatibility. The Rainbow Pibow demo video remains on the Adafruit Pibow page with its rather convincing demonstration of MicroSD adapter.

I am quite disappointed, particularly given the general quality of my purchases and the very high quality of other my Adafruit branded products. Is there a way to fix the situation with a layer .5, perhaps? What are my options?

Thank you,

jack
phaedrus37

Re: New Run of Adafruit Pibow Does Not Work With Adafruit MicroSD Adapter

by adafruit on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:14 pm

Hi there, we sell the PiBows directly from pimoroni, sounds like they have made some changes. We'll update the product description, you can email support@adafruit for a case refund
adafruit

Re: New Run of Adafruit Pibow Does Not Work With Adafruit MicroSD Adapter

by phaedrus37 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:08 pm

I posted a note to the Pimoroni folks after your reply. Mark replied this morning and indicated that they expect a +/-10% variance in the acrylic thickness, which works fine for the Pi, but is less useful for the MicroSD adapter. I requested Mark's permission to forward his email onto you. This situation strikes me as one of managing end-user expectations for future customers — I hope that I'm not being an excessive pain. Your new bullet point on the Adafruit Pibow is elegant management.

I'm hopeful that I can source a couple of additional layer 1 cutouts from them.

jack
phaedrus37