Overheating Pi

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
jayface85

Overheating Pi

Post by jayface85 »

I recieved the raspberry pi starter kit from adafruit for Christmas and i just cracked open the pack and started to play around with it.

It is overheating whenever i have the case on and I was wondering if this is normal. It shuts down within 1-5 minutes when the case is on and even shuts down randomly when it is out in he open air. Is something wrong with it?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Overheating Pi

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Any particular component that is getting especially hot?
Check your power supply. Make sure that it the voltage is not dropping too much under load.

jayface85

Post by jayface85 »

No its not, I'm using the power supply from the raspberry kit from adafruit. Its mA rating is far above what the pi should require, and I checked with a multi-meter, the voltage is solid. Besides that it turns off with much greater speed with the case on than when it is off so I know it over heating. After several reboots I added a heatsink with thermal paste to the processor and it didnt help at all.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

OK then. Contact [email protected] with a link to this thread and they will arrange for a replacement.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”