non-working HDMI -> VGA adapter

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
alfiesty

non-working HDMI -> VGA adapter

Post by alfiesty »

I just purchased an HDMI to VGA adapter from you. I cannot get it to work. I have two raspberrys and both work when connected to my TV, but neither displays on my 21" VGA monitor. my PC works fine with this monitor, in fact that is what I'm using to type this post. There is a hole on one side of the adapter, do I need to make some adjustment?

Jim

adafruit_support_bill

Re: non-working HDMI -> VGA adapter

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Have you tried editing the config.txt?
We tried this out with a Raspberry Pi and an old VGA monitor we had and found the display output to be very crisp and vivid. For use with a Raspberry Pi we suggest editing config.txt to set "hdmi_safe=1" output for best results (otherwise, the Pi may not 'recognize' the HDMI display and revert to composite output)

alfiesty

Post by alfiesty »

I had a VGA adapter working before and made the mistake of removing the VGA connector with power still on. It killed it,but I made no changes, I just ordered another. When I got it, I just reconnected things. This is where I am now.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

do you have any HDMI monitors at all to test with?

alfiesty

Post by alfiesty »

No, but BOTH RASPBERRYS works perfectly with my HMDI TV. Nice crisp video! The problem is that it is a real problem to get to. All my monitors are VGA, one is VGA and USB, none are HMDI.

Jim

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

thats -weird-

we certainly tested the adapters with two different VGA monitors, both worked...

can we do one last experiment? boot the pi with the display going to your HDMI TV. make sure you see stuff on the TV, Then disconnect the TV and without rebooting the Pi, connect the HDMI->VGA and connect the VGA to your monitor

if that doesnt work, email support@adafruit and we'll arrange a refund. not sure a replacement would work, sorry :(

alfiesty

Post by alfiesty »

Unfortunately they are 3 rooms and 15 meters apart. Neither is mobile. Jim

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

ok sounds like we are unable to complete debugging, you can email support - we suggesting trying out some other HDMI/VGA adapters as these dont seem to work with your particular setup

alfiesty

Post by alfiesty »

I just ordered another from Newark, this is where the working one I killed came from. I just wanted to order from you as I admire your business model on the pi.

Jim

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”