USB Connector Plastic Spacers Broken

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
HighbrowHavoc

USB Connector Plastic Spacers Broken

Post by HighbrowHavoc »

I purchased a Raspberry Pi Model B starter kit from Adafruit back in October 2012, and it worked perfectly well for the first few months, but about a week ago when I went to plug in my USB mouse, I found that something was stuck in the mouse's plug. It turned out to be the plastic spacer in the USB connector. I said, Oh well, I'm only out one USB connector, and continued to use the other one, but yesterday, the plastic spacer for the other USB connector broke off as well.

A picture is attached below to show the missing pieces.

I was wondering if I could please get a replacement for the Raspberry Pi, as the USB connectors are now unusable.

Thanks,
HighbrowHavoc
Attachments
Picture of USB connectors without plastic spacers
Picture of USB connectors without plastic spacers
BgJBVcAl.jpeg (33.58 KiB) Viewed 763 times

adafruit_support_rick

Re: USB Connector Plastic Spacers Broken

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

That's very strange. I've never seen anything like it.

The same mouse did this in both sockets? I think you may want to find yourself a different mouse. Did you have to force the mouse connector at all to get it inserted?

Are you otherwise doing anything that could somehow put mechanical stress on these sockets?

HighbrowHavoc

Post by HighbrowHavoc »

No, I stopped using the mouse because the spacer was stuck inside of its connector, making it unusable. I used the second connector for my USB hub, but when I went to unplugged the hub, I gently pulled out the plug straight out, and the spacer came loose from the connector.

I didn't force any of the USB plugs into the Pi's connectors. I'm positive I didn't put any stress on it. The Pi was on the same flat surface as the USB peripherals, and at a short distance from them as well.

It is very strange, I'm thinking it might be a manufacturing defect.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Unfortunately, this really isn't the sort of thing we can provide replacement service on. The unit was purchased 5 months ago and has been working fine up until this point. I'm afraid this falls under the category of normal wear and tear. I did quite a bit of searching online, and I didn't turn up any reports of similar problems.

You might consider simply replacing the connector. Digikey lists one for $1.85.

HighbrowHavoc

Post by HighbrowHavoc »

Alright, thanks for all your help!

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”