Occidentalis stuck in a loop

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Unblessed_Germ

Occidentalis stuck in a loop

Post by Unblessed_Germ »

I'm using occidentalis v.2. I just got my pi today and start it up with occidentalis on the card. It runs through the setup procedure and at the end asks me to type "startx" if I want to use a graphical interface. It then does that over and over rapid fire for 10 or 20 times causing the process to get killed for 5 minutes for spawning too fast.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? I'm going to rewrite the latest image of Occidentalis v.2 right now.

Unblessed_Germ

Re: Occidentalis stuck in a loop

Post by Unblessed_Germ »

Fresh install, same problem

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

0.2 is still beta software. But we've had thousands of downloads and have not heard reports of anything like that. Any strange behavior running a standard Raspbian distro?

Unblessed_Germ

Post by Unblessed_Germ »

Rasbian wheezy runs fine. Can't get Occidentalis v0.2 to work, same thing every time. I'm on a Ubuntu laptop, and I have a desktop running arch linux. I wrote the image using the ubuntu image writer, and dd, and also wrote the image to the card on my desktop using the unix dd; no difference. Every time it gets hung-up asking me to type startx to start the x server, over and over, before it gets killed for 5 minutes for rapidly spawning.

I just got my pi from you guys by the way.

brucef

Post by brucef »

Code: Select all

$ sudo -s
# cd /var/log
# ls -lt | head
Other than auth.log, what's up near the top of that list of log files? Maybe poke around in one or two of those and see if you can identify any clues?

Unblessed_Germ

Post by Unblessed_Germ »

Look at the logs on my laptop/desktop? Or look at the rasberry pi's?

I ask, because I'm not sure anything is even being created on the pi, and if there were, I can't access them from the pi itself.

brucef

Post by brucef »

Sorry, on the pi. Hopefully you can ssh into it and check the log files. From the documentation:
This image has sshd on boot - that means you can immediately ssh in using raspberrypi.local! The ssh keys are generated on boot but since the user/pass is simply pi/raspberry you should not put this on an accessible network until you've changed the password.
I'd think you should be able to ssh in before you type startx and use "ls -lt /var/log" to identify whichever log file is getting written to while your startx loop is happening. Then you can "tail -f /var/log/whatever.log" to watch what's happening in realtime.

Unblessed_Germ

Post by Unblessed_Germ »

Ahhh... Making more sense now. This is my first pi so that never occurred me to as an option, thanks for clearing that up.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”