Power issues with new Pi?

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
SimpleSimon

Power issues with new Pi?

Post by SimpleSimon »

I am encountering some problems with my new Pi Rev B. It was working fine, but it started having issues where it would only illuminate the red LED. I tried a few known good SD and even re-imaged one. I tried using my serial cable, USB and bench top power supply to eliminate it as a possible problem. Voltage across the test ports was 4.2 or low. Any attempts to power the unit will make the voltage regulator hot to the touch. At this point, I am hoping for a poly resistor reset.

I was using a wi-fi adapter, keyboard and mouse and HDMI. Tests were done without anything attached. Any thoughts on what to try next? It won't even turn in at this point.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Power issues with new Pi?

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Have you tried powering it without the SD card installed?

SimpleSimon

Post by SimpleSimon »

I will give that a go this evening. It nagged on me last night! :lol: Hard to fall asleep when you have a problem in front of you. I attempted to power it up again this morning with a more robust USB cable, still no power indication other than an extremely hot voltage regulator.

adafruit_support_rick

Have a look at the RPi troubleshooting page, too.

SimpleSimon

Post by SimpleSimon »

Voltage across test points is 3.97.

Tried booting without SD card. No lights.

adafruit_support_rick

Do you get that voltage without the SD card inserted? You said you tried several different SD cards, so it sure sounds like the Pi is toast. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread to arrange a replacement.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”