my chumbys are dying, will the screens work on a pi?

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
tldr

my chumbys are dying, will the screens work on a pi?

Post by tldr »

got a couple of sets of chumby guts from the maker shed way back when. they've been happily serving cats, bunnies, earthquake maps and all matter of other interesting and pertinent data for about 3 years, now, but the days of the chumby servers seem to have come to an end. all that's left is a clock. we are bereft.

maybe there are parts i can use with my pi...

well, i just watched a video of becky assembling a set of guts and it looks like the video cable is probably not compatible with the connector on the pi. probably won't fit, but i can still salvage the speakers, the switch and the wifi dongle. guess i can hook up to the daughterboard and see if i can talk to the accelerometer.

yeah, i know, i should just find a linux distro that was built for the chumby without all the flash stuff, but it would be really cool if that screen would work on a pi.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: my chumbys are dying, will the screens work on a pi?

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

If screens are just NTSC composite video in, then they ought to work. If they're VGA, then nope, sorry.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

The chumby video screens are 'raw' displays, they wont work with the Pi - but we do have many NTSC/HDMI displays you can use in the shop!

tldr

Post by tldr »

i was wondering if it would fit the video dsi header on top of the pi, but it doesn't look like a good fit. it's not so much that i want a display for the pi, but that i was looking for a way to recycle some parts from the chumby. i kind of prefer my pis headless anyway with buttons and knobs for input and festival for output. as long as i can get it to speak its ip address i can always ssh in.

clqualls

Post by clqualls »

From the postings, I can't tell which type Chumby is being talked about (Classic, Chumby One or Chumby 8).
I really love the Chumby 8 case and was wondering if anyone had ever taken one apart to see what type screen is in it. It would seem that the screen in the Chumby 8 would be a good candidate for conversion to working with a raspberry pi, but I am not ready yet to tear my functional one apart.

paulf8080

Post by paulf8080 »

I use my Chumby 8 as my bedside alarm clock so I am glad that still works. Sorry about the servers. Somebody donated the servers after Chumby company died.

It has a nice 8" touch screen. Wasn't the hardware open source so users could hack them?

clqualls

Post by clqualls »

I still use my Chumby One for my beside alarm clock. The Chumby servers are back online now and you can access them for some amount of money per month. My Chumby 8 is setting in the dining room running an older version of Zurk's offline firmware. It cycles between a clock, weather bug and Google calendar. The problem is the Google calendar flash can no longer access Google. Yes the Chumby hardware is suppose to be hackable, but you can't find much information about it like you can for the raspberry pi. I am trying to find a dead Chumby 8 so I can tear it apart instead of my functional one. I will probably upgrade my Chumby 8 to the latest version of Zurk's offline firmware and see if that helps.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”