Pi Cobbler Kit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
NewPiUser1

Pi Cobbler Kit

Post by NewPiUser1 »

Hello I recently baught a Pi Cobbler. I am busy working through the lessons in the Raspberry Pi Adafruit learning system. I am interested in trying lesson 8 on using a Servo Motor with the Raspberry Pi and Cobbler. However I have just one concern. Excuse my ignorance. I see the Servo would be powered by a battery pack of 6 volts but the Rasperry pi can only handle 3.5 volts. Is there any chance I can damage my Raspberry Pi by "frying" it.

Obviously I will be careful to follow the instructions carefully. I realise that the signal going into the pi from the servo motor is 3.5 volts. I also realise that only the servo is powered by a battery pack of 6 volts.

However I am still a bit concerned.

tldr

Re: Pi Cobbler Kit

Post by tldr »

just be careful. i once plugged a 19v laptop power supply in to a 5v display. the display briefly looked very cool, then sounded very strange and then smelled very bad.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Pi Cobbler Kit

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Anytime you have low-voltage circuits controlling high-powered devices there is this concern. If you look at the servo connector, it has been designed so that even if you plug it in backwards, the servo power voltage is always on the center pin so it can't damage the control circuitry inside the servo.

As tldr says, just be careful and double check all connections before actually applying power.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”