Adafruit console cable

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
jprather

Adafruit console cable

Post by jprather »

i just got my raspberry pi and one of the console cables and when i plug it into my mac i get a warning saying the usb device is drawing too much power and that the usb port has been switched off. when i plug the console cable into a wall wart is also doesnt power the pi. any ideas?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Adafruit console cable

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Do you get the warning with just the cable plugged in to the Mac? (i.e. not connected to the Pi)

jprather

Post by jprather »

no just when its connected to the pi. it also wont connect to the pi if i only connect the data lines and power the pi off of the microusb

jprather

Post by jprather »

i also just plugged the 5v and gnd pins on the pi into another 5v source and it booted up

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

no just when its connected to the pi.
What else do you have connected to the Pi? The warning usually means some device is trying to draw more than 500mA from the USB port. The Pi alone will be pulling 450 or so by itself during the boot. If the USB poly-fuse trips, sometimes it takes 10 minutes or more for it to reset.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”