class d amp breakout and raspberry pi

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
tldr

class d amp breakout and raspberry pi

Post by tldr »

i've been thinking about using the class d amp breakout with my pi. today i noticed that the headphone jack on the pi is a 5 pin doohickey typical of devices that switch off a set of speakers when headphones are attached. sure enough there is a connection between the two pins on the left until a plug is inserted in the jack. so, other than the daftness of soldering to the board, is there any reason i should not undertake this project?

let me rephrase... other than the daftness of soldering to the board and the questionable quality of the audio on the pi, is there any reason i should not undertake this project?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: class d amp breakout and raspberry pi

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Why solder to the board at all? Why not make a cable to plug the amplifier into the headphone jack?

tldr

Post by tldr »

adafruit_support wrote:Why solder to the board at all? Why not make a cable to plug the amplifier into the headphone jack?
well, i was thinking of soldering to the switched pins on the bottom of the board, but with a night's sleep behind me, it occurs to me that i could make a cable to plug into a my own break out with my own switched jack and a header for the amp breakout.

but soldering to the board might be neater.

tldr

Post by tldr »

i take it the 5v 2a supply for my pi w/ wifi will not be enough to power my pi w/ wifi and amp. it's a small place, so how about i limit the gain?

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”