medusa - seemed like a good idea at the time.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
tldr

medusa - seemed like a good idea at the time.

Post by tldr »

went something like this. get a set of 6" premium male to male jumpers. peel off a group of 26 wires. install idc connector near one end. trim cable. install on pi in cool fluorescent green pi box.

notes to self:
  • - do not plug this in. something will short out.
  • - next time use female jumpers. most adafruit breakouts come with male headers.
  • - idiot.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: medusa - seemed like a good idea at the time.

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I'd suggest cutting off some of the terminators to see if two grow back for every one you cut, but that probably wouldn't be very responsible of me. ;-)

On the bright side, you can probably split that one into bands 3-5 conductors wide and end up with something handy.

tldr

Post by tldr »

so, this may be the better approach. 6" female/female jumpers. first of all it's none destructive, since instead of crimping on an idc connector i just stuck them right onto the header on the pi then wrapped them in painter's tape rendering a slightly wobbly, but serviceable connector. the appropriate pins at the other end were attached to the male header on a 16 servo breakout. i'll also be using the serial pins to get a console on my laptop, 'til i get the network configured, and maybe hook up the spi pins to a nokia 5110 display.

the connectors on the jumpers are too tall to put the lid on the pibox, but i figure next time i'm close to a laser cutter i'll just make a lid with a hole in it.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

That's a nice trick.. I'll have to steal that. ;-)

tldr

Post by tldr »

cool thing about thei2c servo breakout and the spi nokia breakout that i'm using is that they both have two sets of headers so i can easily extend the bus and power to another board like maybe a ds1307 breakout on the i2c bus. unfortunately, the ds1307 and many other breakouts have only one set of bus and power pins, so devices cannot be easily daisy chained.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”