Access Point no internet - help!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
applxperience

Access Point no internet - help!

Post by applxperience »

I got my Raspberry Onion Pi kit order yesterday and took about 12 hours to finish the whole process :(

the SD card was corrupt at first (or it never came with the pre-installed OS?) so I had to re-install an OS, and since some contained files inside the downloaded .zip and others contained an .img, PLUS some methods CAN actually take a .zip file… I wasted many hours trying to install a zip -which DID copy some hundreds of files!- for later figure out that the .img was inside and the one to be used…

Anyway. The process was still fun, but now I finished everything and despite the access point shows with the ssid I named, the TOR test returns OK, and there are no logged error in the notices.log file (nor success messages though) …

the devices accessing it can't get internet. Neither proxied or unproxied. There's just no internet at all.

How can I test/debug/fix it?

Thanks.

applxperience

More Info

Post by applxperience »

Update:
Here are some details so you don't feel I'm requesting a whole network administration course :)

By running tail -f /var/log/syslog I can se the hand-shake and successfully connection of each terminal connecting to the Pi access point.

Pinging 192.168.41.1 works fine, but in the wlan0 logs ALL packets are dropped (no errors), while Pinging 8.8.8.8 doesn't work. The tutorial says there should be something wrong with the dhcp or nat configurations, and went through it a third time, and all seems fine.

IPTABLES content: (successfully restored every time from file on boot)
*nat
:PREROUTING ACCEPT [0:0]
:INPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:POSTROUTING ACCEPT [0:0]
-A PREROUTING -i wlan0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 22
-A PREROUTING -i wlan0 -p udp -m udp --dport 53 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 53
-A PREROUTING -i wlan0 -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags FIN,SYN,RST,ACK SYN -j REDIRECT --to-ports 9040
COMMIT

*filter
:INPUT ACCEPT [4:120]
:FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
COMMIT

DHCP content:
(I triple-checked character by character and it looks like this, although I can't copy/paste because I can't even connect with the cable)
subnet 192.168.42.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
range 192.168.42.10 192.168.42.50;
option broadcast-address 192.168.42.255;
option routers 192.168.42.1;
default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;
option domain-name "local";
option domain-name-servers 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4;
}

Any ideas what to check next?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Access Point no internet - help!

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The serial connection that should exist through the console cable and the network connections that should exist through the wifi and Ethernet ports are completely different systems, so let's take a look at each one to see what's going wrong.

WRT the console cable, could you post a photo of the way you have the jumpers connected to the GPIO pins? Let's make sure the hardware connection is correct, then we can look for software issues.

WRT the network connections, what do you get from the command:

Code: Select all

ifconfig -a

applxperience

Post by applxperience »

adafruit_support_mike wrote:could you post a photo of the way you have the jumpers connected to the GPIO pins? Let's make sure the hardware connection is correct
I don't want to be rude but, I'm not color blind, a photo of the cables will look exactly as the photo in your website, and I know the names of the colors since before I learned the letters I'm writing you with. My english may not be perfect, but it's just because it's my second language, not because I'm retarded :)

I tried the cable connection about three different times, so the chances of me connecting them the wrong way or a piece of dirt breaking the circuit all three times is extremely remote.

I attached the screenshot you asked me
ifconfig -a
ifconfig -a
photo.JPG (117.17 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
Thanks for your time.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

OK so the Pi as AP never worked even BEFORE you installed and ran the tor code?
If so, you should stop at that step, if you cant get data forwarded out, adding tor wont fix it :)
Please undo the tor installation if you can, removing all new routes
http://learn.adafruit.com/onion-pi/install-tor
basically, go back to here
http://learn.adafruit.com/setting-up-a- ... nt/connect
this must work completely before you try the tor stuff

then, can you connect FROM the pi itself out to the internet? what happens if you ping 8.8.8.8 from the Pi? has that worked at -every step-? which step did it stop working at? because according to your eth0 you've never sent any data from the Pi to the internet ever (TX packets:0) you need to be able to get out to the internet thru the ethernet port before you try to have the pi be an AP

applxperience

Post by applxperience »

adafruit wrote:…according to your eth0 you've never sent any data from the Pi to the internet ever
I think that's what we should focus on.

I DID download drivers, went to the desktop UI and browsed the net…
The ethernet IS working, so if it's not showing so, where should I look before to reinstall the whole thing? (it seems easier than messing with partial installations at this point. It might be easy for you if you can can interactively see every setting live, but me sending each to you every day won't get me too far.

The Pi DIDN'T even boot with the SD out the box. Isn't there a chance that the tutorials is old and the the SD shipped (if it had worked) is right while the tutorial is still wrong? (the driver showing a number 1 instead of an "l" after months of everyone reporting it is either a way to sell pre-inatalled SD cards or someone is wasting your time and many other's just by not updating the tutorial to what the SD card really comes with.

I don't remember if the access point sent me internet to the iPhone and MacBook Pro I tested it with. I was so happy to see the ssid accepting my password and showing a green dot (mac) in the network panel (IP obtained) that I didn't (or I don't remember) if I tested it further.

I'd backup this SD card and start a clean one until you answer until you answer me.

applxperience

New Fresh start

Post by applxperience »

I calculated that debugging this would take forever, so I started a new fresh install and documented everything.

AFTER A FRESH INSTALL (and basic configuration)
First error: hostapd couldn't start.
Here I wonder: The author of the article didn't show the screen-capture for this.
Did he also had the RED FAIL notice as I did?
Below are the screen captures of the logs.
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (177.69 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (181.64 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
Last edited by applxperience on Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

applxperience

Fresh RPi install, Access point not working.

Post by applxperience »

More images in this message ( I can't add more than three)

No, I can't get Internet from the computers connected to the Pi
Yes, the Pi accessed the internet both through the wifi after configured (through the graphic interface) BEFORE installing the Access Point (nor Tor)
Yes, the Pi access the internet trough the ethernet cable successfully (i can browse pages)

Now the access point configuration.
photo 1-1.JPG
photo 1-1.JPG (87.19 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
And the logs showing the handshaking and successful connection from the other devices. They can't get internet though. EXACTLY same as before.
photo 2-1.JPG
photo 2-1.JPG (151.76 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
And last, the ifconfig shows this
photo-5.JPG
photo-5.JPG (165.21 KiB) Viewed 2066 times
NOW WE KNOW TOR was not to blame.

Quick question: Isn't it easier to include Tor in the SD card? After all, the ones who buy this package only bought it to get TOR working, not to learn to use the Pi.

Thanks.

applxperience

DIFFERENT ANTENA SHIPPED [SOLVED] (almost)

Post by applxperience »

Hello?

Anyone?

Don't tell me NOBODY sent feedback for the access point tutorial to MAKE IT WORK WITH THE NEW SHIPPED ANTENA.

People like me paid for the installed card and bought the "Onion" package and not the separate parts for a reason: Each part was supposed to be setup and compiled (if that applies, I have no idea what compiling is) for THAT KIT. I even remember having read something to discourage people to buy the parts somewhere else or by separate, and talking about other antennas out there not being same compatible or tested for this kit… PLAIN LIE! this one (8192Cu) is NOT the one used in the tutorial.

I just fixed it, 4 days later. Not the support I expected, considering this is PIECE OF CAKE for you.

It needs to be in MASTER MODE.

Code: Select all

sudo iwconfig wlan1 mode master
[/b]

found here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... er_chipset

I read half the web, almost compiled the driver from realtek (I got lost at "path-to-your-kernel-buil-whatever")…

I'm SO not satisfied with the response (All questions to find fault in my many attempts to follow your instructions)

Now I need to make Pi to remember it in any boot.
WHERE do I put it?

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”