So, the solution was
No, I used the same original Rev 2 RPi. But, I carefully re- installed all the software necessary for the project, even re-formating the SD card. I think the pops might have come from installing git the first time. I didn't see that it was already installed if I downloaded Occidentalis, which I did. But, i could have corrupted something else by getting frustrated not seeing the LCD light up. Might have re-installed this or that in the wrong order. So, really the wrong bus was the trouble. The info was there, but guess i lost focus, for documentation was confusing. Maybe, the docs could be written 2 ways, one for Rev 1 and one for Rev 2, and not mentioning anything about the other revision you're not using.
Rev1 does not work for me involving WiFi. It could be my adapter, for it draws about 210 ma, an older Belkin, but works fine with Rev 2.