Raspberery Pi Internet Radio

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
donde

Re: Raspberery Pi Internet Radio

Post by donde »

The I2C pins are in the same place
Yes, I'm using the same SD card. I don't need another Pi Plate. I don't need another Raspberry Pi. I need to know why Rev 1 works and Rev 2 does not. And I don't think it's strange anymore. There has got to be a reason. And I don't know what it is. But, as a hobbyist I still would like to to find out and not say Oh Well, it just works with Rev 1. Can you continue to help?

donde

Post by donde »

I have noticed this confusion in the section "Testing the Library" that has not been addressed.
If you have a rev 2 (512MB) Pi, or if you're not getting anything displaying, it might be due to the I2C bus number change in the Pi hardware. Edit Adafruit_CharLCD.py using a command like "nano Adafruit_CharLCD.py" and change the line

lcd = Adafruit_CharLCDPlate(busnum = 0)

to

lcd = Adafruit_CharLCDPlate(busnum = 1)

I do not find: lcd = Adafruit_CharLCDPlate(busnum = 0) in the file Adafruit_CharLCD.py
I do find: lcd = Adafruit_CharLCD() in the same file.

donde

Post by donde »

I find the last previous post has not been answered, so I assume it has no answer. A question deserves an answer. That's what this forum is for.

Anyway, I have another new Raspberry Pi Version 2 coming in the mail. I should get it tomorrow. The RPi Version 1 works with the Pi Plate LCD, but is very erratic connecting to WiFi. Version 1 always had that problem, for USB ports were not robust enough to handle the increased current of WiFi. Version 2 works. If the new Version 2 coming in the mail doesn't work with the LCD Pi Plate, then I'll just throw everything in the corner and forget about the whole project. Life is too short at 76. :D

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

donde wrote:I find the last previous post has not been answered, so I assume it has no answer. A question deserves an answer. That's what this forum is for.
Sorry - your question has been sitting in my to-do list for a couple of days. I toasted my Pi, and just got another one set up this morning.

I'll fix that section of the tutorial - thanks for pointing it out. Meanwhile, you can use the busnum argument in Adafruit_CharLCDPlate:

Code: Select all

lcd = Adafruit_CharLCDPlate(busnum=0)
or

lcd = Adafruit_CharLCDPlate(busnum=1)
Be sure to run Adafruit_CharLCDPlate, not LCDtest.py. busnum=0 should work with Rev 1, and busnum=1 should work with Rev 2.

donde

Post by donde »

I'll fix that section of the tutorial
OK Rick! Now Version 2 works with the change: lcd = Adafruit_CharLCDPlate(busnum = 1)

I think the problem was the option of (busnum = 0) or (busnum = 1) was never in the code in the first place.
Just this: lcd = Adafruit_CharLCDPlate()
And Version 1 never needed either option explicitly. All that was necessary was: lcd = Adafruit_CharLCDPlate()
But Version 2 needed this: lcd = Adafruit_CharLCDPlate(busnum = 1)
I think I tried the option (busnum = 1) once, but must have had a typo. Thus, nothing happened.

Sorry I got a bit uptight. I think no one else saw the error, or if they did, just corrected it and didn't tell anyone. This is not good.
If someone wants to help, he or she should identify the confusion for others who are not as experienced. That's me.

OK, now I have an extra RPi in trhe mail! :D

Thanks

adafruit_support_rick

Can you do me a favor?
On both of your Pi's, the rev 1 and the rev 2, open a Terminal window and post what you get back from this command:

cat /proc/cpuinfo

donde

Post by donde »

do me a favor?
OK, here are the results

Rev 2: cat /proc/cpuinfo

Processor : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l)
BogoMIPS : 697.95
Features : sup half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java tls
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture : 7
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0xb76
CPU revision : 7

Hardware : BCM2708
Revision : 002
Serial : 000000001c681ebe

Rev 1: cat /proc/cpuinfo

Processor : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l)
BogoMIPS : 697.95
Features : sup half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java tls
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture : 7
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0xb76
CPU revision : 7

Hardware : BCM2708
Revision : 0002
Serial : 000000008c42241e

The only two items I see different are last 2 lines.

adafruit_support_rick

That's pretty much what I get, except that my Rev1 reports CPU revision 002, and my Rev2 reports CPU revision 00e.

And that's why I2C auto-detect doesn't work for either of us on our Rev 1 Pi's. The auto-detect was written back when you could tell the revision apart by looking at that number. The code expects a Rev 1 to report a CPU revision of either 0 or 1. It fails on my Pi because it reports a value of 2. It fails on yours because it report a value of 7

But the interesting thing is that your Rev 1 and Rev 2 BOTH report a CPU revision of 7 !! Clearly, the auto-detect logic can't work with that.

We will have to review the auto-detect logic and figure out some way to make it work...

BTW - I fixed the errors in the tutorial which you pointed out.

donde

Post by donde »

That's pretty much what I get
Very good, glad to help indentify the problem with you.

Back to the WiFi Radio project for me, now that I can see the what the LCD says.
Any more thoughts about the couple of pops I hear near the beginning of each song?
I hear the same thing if I click on Pause and then Continue, at the release of Continue, I hear the same pop.
But on the music, it's more strident, almost a double pop. And sometimes another one like the releasing of Continue.
Maybe, I'll try the new RPi coming in the mail. It could be de-poped !!!

adafruit_support_rick

Phil B. might have a better idea. I haven't tried this project yet.

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

I'm a bit stumped by the popping thing...a pop is pretty normal at the transition between songs, but mid-track? Haven't witnessed that, and the only thing I can think to expect might be WiFi dropouts. Do you have a wired connection you could test it with?

donde

Post by donde »

the popping thing
Hi Phil
Popping was original complaint, but then LCD problem took center stage. I worked with Rick, and now that's solved. I'm going to start again with Internet Radio project now that I can see the LCD. Rick thought pops was due to not buffering or double buffering somewhere in the code. We didn't go further than that. I'm going to start again using Rev 2 (512 megs) of the RPi. I want to use WiFi. That part worked fine before. And yes the pops appear the same way using the LAN. BTW Rev 1 of RPi which I have too, has big problems with WiFi. I was using it to troubleshoot the LCD problem. This is known by the RPi community. I've had problems with it before on other projects. Rev 2 is much better. Tell Rick thanks.LCD works. Back to the bench to re-do Internet Radio.

donde

Post by donde »

the popping thing

The Adafruit Internet WiFi Radio totally works now!. The pops are gone. Thr music sounds good. The LCD functions do as advertised. I want to thank everyone involved is designing this cool project. It took me a whille to get here, but was a terrific learning experience.

adafruit_support_rick

So, the solution was to use a different Pi?

donde

Post by donde »

So, the solution was
No, I used the same original Rev 2 RPi. But, I carefully re- installed all the software necessary for the project, even re-formating the SD card. I think the pops might have come from installing git the first time. I didn't see that it was already installed if I downloaded Occidentalis, which I did. But, i could have corrupted something else by getting frustrated not seeing the LCD light up. Might have re-installed this or that in the wrong order. So, really the wrong bus was the trouble. The info was there, but guess i lost focus, for documentation was confusing. Maybe, the docs could be written 2 ways, one for Rev 1 and one for Rev 2, and not mentioning anything about the other revision you're not using.

Rev1 does not work for me involving WiFi. It could be my adapter, for it draws about 210 ma, an older Belkin, but works fine with Rev 2.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”