USB 2.0 Powered Hub - ID: 961 & wifi

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
steffiek

USB 2.0 Powered Hub - ID: 961 & wifi

Post by steffiek »

Hello,

I'm using a RaspberryPi Model B with Miniature WiFi (802.11b/g/n) Module (ID: 814) and the USB Powered Hub (ID 961), all purchased at adafruit.

Ever since I got it all, I haven't had any luck connecting wirelessly with Occidentalis 2.0. I had no problems at all using the NOOBS distro, but would prefer to use Occidentalis.

After troubleshooting for weeks, I've finally realized that the USB hub is the problem. If I plug the wifi dongle into the Hub, it doesn't connect. If both the hub and the wifi dongle are connected to the Pi, the Pi hangs on boot, keyboard sometimes does or does not work, and it doesn't connect. The only way I've gotten the Pi to connect wirelessly is to connect keyboard to Pi, connect mouse to keyboard, and Wifi to Pi directly. So the hub is totally unnecessary.

Have I done something incorrectly? If I can't use the hub that you guys recommended, it's kind of useless...? When I was running the NOOBS distro, I had the wifi and hub connected directly to the Pi, and keyboard and mouse connected to the hub and I didn't have any power issues at all. What's different between the two distros?

Order No: 329471
and
Order No: 352075

Many thanks,
Stefanie

adafruit_support_mike

Re: USB 2.0 Powered Hub - ID: 961 & wifi

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Based on your description, it sounds like the hub isn't actually getting power, or at least isn't delivering power to the ports.

To check that, hook the keyboard etc to the RasPi in the configuration you've described as working, then connect the mini-USB cable that gives the RasPi power to the hub.

steffiek

Post by steffiek »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. The problem does seem to be with the hub. I've found the following:

1 port didn't boot but gave me this repeating/scrolling msg: NYET/NAK/ACK/other in non-error case, 0x00000002

1 port booted up well and connected wirelessly, but the keyboard was sticking and hanging

1 port same as above

1 port booted up well but never connected

1 port booted but keyboard hangs so much I can't even get my login typed properly.

I tried all these ports twice, and got any of the above issues each time for different ports. It's pretty inconsistent, but the keyboard is often the thing that hangs and repeats....

Should I try a new hub? Or try and update the configuration file for the miniWifi first?

Many thanks,
Stefanie

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Hmm.. the fact that the RasPi was able to boot means the hub delivered at least 450mA, which means there's some power getting through. You still might have a marginal power supply though.

Do you have a multimeter? If so, check the voltage at the barrel jack of the hub's power supply. Stick the positive probe into the hole and touch the negative probe to the outside. You should get a nice, clean 5v.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”