Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

DHT22 and DS18B20 with Raspberry Pi

by OlDogTrik on Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:27 pm

I want to set up a Raspberry Pi B to send email alerts when a room temperature get too hot or cold. I also have a PID 264 DS1307 RT clock board to affix date /time. I have a prototype with a AM2302 working (but not the email) but then thought that having two temperature sensors might be better, using one to verify the other. I thought mounting both on top of a plastic enclosure, that holds the Pi, close to each other might be best. But now I can not decide if two of different types DS18B20 + DHT22/AM2302 would be better then two of the same DHT22 /AM2303 type.
Are there any considerations mixing different types of these sensors?
OlDogTrik

Re: DHT22 and DS18B20 with Raspberry Pi

by adafruit_support_rick on Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:18 pm

I would consider that the DS18B20 uses a different communications protocol than the DHT22. That adds more complexity.
I would not mount the sensors on the pi case, as the pi generates heat. You will be measuring that instead of the ambient temperature in the room.
Two sensors don't necessarily buy you anything anyway. The best you can know is that one of them isn't working. But you won't know which one.
adafruit_support_rick