LCD Plate errors

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
giannie

LCD Plate errors

Post by giannie »

Hi, I've been trying to use the LCD plate on my pi but after a short while of use it stops being able to access the i2c bus and throws up some errors such as: IOError: [Errno 5] Input/output error.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be?

adafruit_support_rick

Re: LCD Plate errors

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Please post some clear, detailed pictures of both sides of your plate.

giannie

Post by giannie »

I'll post pictures tonight when I get home. The problem occurs on two different plates and 3 different Pis. One other question is whether or not connecting an Arduino to the correct pins on the plate and using the Aduino library would work with this plate/

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

giannie wrote:The problem occurs on two different plates and 3 different Pis.
Is there anything else attached to the Pi?
giannie wrote:One other question is whether or not connecting an Arduino to the correct pins on the plate and using the Aduino library would work with this plate/
I haven't tried it, but it should work. Power the plate from 5V.

giannie

Post by giannie »

I haven't tried it, but it should work. Power the plate from 5V.
Looking at the layout of the Arduino version of the board, there are two resistors that are not on the Pi as apparently the Arduino expects pull up resistors on the i2c lines. Do you know if this will cause an issue, I'm not so familiar with the Arduino? If so, do you have any idea how I could connect resistors in a way that would avoid the problem.
Is there anything else attached to the Pi?
The problem occurred before attaching anything else to the Pi. Currently there is an RF transmitter connected to 5V, GND and GPIO17.

I've attached pictures of the board, and I have checked every joint that might be shorted with a multimeter.
Attachments
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg (660.04 KiB) Viewed 286 times
IMG_0002_2.jpg
IMG_0002_2.jpg (873.92 KiB) Viewed 286 times
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg (737.29 KiB) Viewed 286 times

giannie

Post by giannie »

Those pictures may have been too wide... sorry.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Looking at the layout of the Arduino version of the board, there are two resistors that are not on the Pi as apparently the Arduino expects pull up resistors on the i2c lines.
That is correct. The Pi has pullups on SDA and SCL, the Arduino does not. You would need to add pullups to use it with the Arduino. The resistor value is not critical, but the shield kit uses 4.7Kohm between SDA/SCL and 5v.

I don't see any obvious issues with the assembly. But if the problem occurs on the Arduino also, that would confirm that the problem is somewhere on the plate.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”